Gaming Cutscene music claim

Luceroboy

LooseArrowBoy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
I have not published this video yet. I am youtube partnered, but I don't monetize any of my gameplay videos.
This is my final video in the series so the cutscenes and credits have music.
I don't plan to monetize this video ever. Is it okay to leave it as is and accept the claim?
Is the standing of my account threatened?
Also if I were partnered with a gaming network and this claim came up would I dispute it?

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Yeah it should be Ok, claims are very different from strikes, and a network usually doesn't know about Claims as far as I have heard, but sometimes they detect the music themselves even if it wasn't claimed, but that's dependent on the network.

TigerXtrm

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As long as you don't monetize the video at all and accept any incoming claims it should be okay. But keep in mind though that there are no set rules as to when a party may claim or when they may issue a strike. Most publishers and record labels are sensible enough to realize that your video gets them free ad income and are content with a claim and keeping your video up. But there are also companies who will go to great lengths to have the video taken offline, resulting in you getting a strike on your channel.

Best thing to do is check around YouTube for other instances of the particular music. If you find a lot of them that are all claimed then it's safe to upload it and have it claimed by the owner. If you can't find the particular piece anywhere or are only finding very very recent versions you might want to exercise caution. It could mean the owner doesn't want to videos on YouTube, period.

Luceroboy

LooseArrowBoy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Ugh they're so ambiguous I wish they gave you time and warned you about strikes on your account. If they were going to issue one you at least could react and avoid it.
Thanks for the responses!
If anyone has any info about the music in Fatal Frame 3 the ending cutscene and if it's allowed or not let me know :)

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Ugh they're so ambiguous I wish they gave you time and warned you about strikes on your account. If they were going to issue one you at least could react and avoid it.
Thanks for the responses!
If anyone has any info about the music in Fatal Frame 3 the ending cutscene and if it's allowed or not let me know :)
Unfortunately it's up to you to do the research and know a Game Company's Policy before doing videos on the games. ;)

And it's hard to tell on Fatal Frame series since Tecmo don't have video policys page..

blakinola

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I highly doubt a game from 9 years ago is going to get flagged by anything. Worst case scenario, they will run ads alongside it. There are plenty of results for that game and let's plays and people seem to be fine so I think you will be fine!

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I highly doubt a game from 9 years ago is going to get flagged by anything. Worst case scenario, they will run ads alongside it. There are plenty of results for that game and let's plays and people seem to be fine so I think you will be fine!
Oh I wouldn't say that. Play Super Mario Bros. for the NES and see Nintendo claim the music in the video. Or Final Fantasy 7 and so on. But yea 3rd party claims are pretty harmless for your channel. It just means you agree with the copyright holder that they can put ads on your video because you use their content. Nintendo actually caught a lot of heat for flagging videos. Sega did the same with Shining Force.