Gaming Channel Video Recipe's

Tolkrein

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Does anyone have any good format recipes... like I know we all tweek the recipe to taste...

My recipe so far follows ..except not my latest video being that it was a bonus weekend video.

HIGHLIGHT - Something cool or funny that happened during the game... to kinda hook the audience in the first 5-6 seconds

INTRO- Your channel intro video

Greeting + TOTD- (topic of the day) Something to discuss in the gaming world or something to do in your game your playing... whether thats an upcoming patch and changes to the game preferences within the game... "this or that" kinda thing.... just to try to engage everyone in a discussion.

CONTENT- straight away into the meat of the content... of gameplay with your commentary... which I happen to do live commentary versus a recorded over one.

Thats what I'm kinda doing right now. I believe I do want to do more... Maybe some better editing at cutting out deadzones or deadspots where not a lot is happening. I'd like to know what you fellow gamer you tubers think.

Reactions: Noobzilla

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Does anyone have any good format recipes... like I know we all tweek the recipe to taste...

My recipe so far follows ..except not my latest video being that it was a bonus weekend video.

HIGHLIGHT - Something cool or funny that happened during the game... to kinda hook the audience in the first 5-6 seconds

INTRO- Your channel intro video

Greeting + TOTD- (topic of the day) Something to discuss in the gaming world or something to do in your game your playing... whether thats an upcoming patch and changes to the game preferences within the game... "this or that" kinda thing.... just to try to engage everyone in a discussion.

CONTENT- straight away into the meat of the content... of gameplay with your commentary... which I happen to do live commentary versus a recorded over one.

Thats what I'm kinda doing right now. I believe I do want to do more... Maybe some better editing at cutting out deadzones or deadspots where not a lot is happening. I'd like to know what you fellow gamer you tubers think.

When I do game videos I don't follow this personally. But I do think it's important to get to the point fast as you can then loop it around to the end to bring it back together and give them a reason to watch all the way through.

Ive done things differently by introducing the topic of the vid first, then go into a backstory of what it is then explain things in a somewhat linear fashion with a few tangents or call backs as they come up

derikku

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sometimes before my video starts ill take a cool or funny part from the video and put it in the beginning to give my audience a feel of the video.[DOUBLEPOST=1486342440,1486342343][/DOUBLEPOST]and getting to the point is a good one too. try not to leave the beginning lingering for too long before u start playing. some people dont mind it but most want to just know whats going on then to start seeing the gameplay

The Clark Knight

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah I do think the hook at the beginning is definitely necessary. Pretty much I'd add that you just need to make sure all of the meat of your video is worth putting in. I see a lot of people with slow parts to videos which doesn't only lose watch time but also likelihood of subscribing since most people sub at the end of videos. So yeah I'd say just make sure the hook isn't the only entertaining part of the video. That's where a lot of people fall short.

derikku

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
yeah honestly i usually dont say like and subscribe until the end of the video i never say it at the beginning

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ive got a gaming channel too, and kind of follow your recipe. Granted i couldnt say my channel is successful (yet) but my typical video is. Quick intro explaining whats going to happen in the video. Then cropping the crap out of the video so only the entertaining parts are in it. And even when i talk to the audience i try to make it as quick as possible. I also ad music to make the video seem fast pace. aka fast pace heavy beat music quiet enough that you can still hear me.

Turk-Lvlone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You pretty much have the standard layout for most YouTube videos there, every channel's going to be different to a certain level but most follow what you have.

derikku

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ive got a gaming channel too, and kind of follow your recipe. Granted i couldnt say my channel is successful (yet) but my typical video is. Quick intro explaining whats going to happen in the video. Then cropping the crap out of the video so only the entertaining parts are in it. And even when i talk to the audience i try to make it as quick as possible. I also ad music to make the video seem fast pace. aka fast pace heavy beat music quiet enough that you can still hear me.
yeah same. i try to show only the entertaning parts

Darbz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd agree with these tips especially the highlights one! gotta pull in your potential subs XD

FlipFlops

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i think i did that pretty similar with that...
this is my recipe.. but i don't really think this work.. because i don't know, perhaps my english grammar are too bad...
1. Funniest Footage on that video... or Most Stupid, Silly, Hillarious Footage...
2. Intro or Branded Greeting
3. Commentary Gameplay, make as over react as possible...
4. Closing and Thanking your audience for accompaning you to play the horrible game...
5. Suggesting to check your other videos, or ask to subscribe...

but i don't feel this is the best recipe... i still struggling as well.. :bounce: