[Gaming] Best video length?

The Average Hero

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
(Not entirely certain this thread belongs in this topic)

I've only released 5 videos so far, all with varying lengths. What's the recommended length for a gaming video on YouTube? So far I have 3 videos around 18 - 20 minutes, one around 10, with the last video being a montage around 5 minutes.

ShaunM

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If they are gaming tutorials then as long as it needs to be to do the walk through at a decent speed.

Montages arnt my thing so I get bored easily so shorter is probably better. Go into your YouTube analytics and click audience retention, it's at the bottom. That will tell you how much of your video is actually begin watched before the viewer goes else where. Work out the average duration and aim for that as the max duration for your video clips and try only include quality content.

Reactions: The Average Hero

The Average Hero

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
If they are gaming tutorials then as long as it needs to be to do the walk through at a decent speed.

Montages arnt my thing so I get bored easily so shorter is probably better. Go into your YouTube analytics and click audience retention, it's at the bottom. That will tell you how much of your video is actually begin watched before the viewer goes else where. Work out the average duration and aim for that as the max duration for your video clips and try only include quality content.
Thanks. It looks like my videos will be around 10 minutes or so :p

ShaunM

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
:)

Remember to keep track of your audience retention and adapt accordingly, retention views do wonders for your YouTube SEO.

wcrb15

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Go watch the Game Theory episode about PewDiePie. MatPat talks a lot about how YouTube's SEO works and why around 10 minute gaming episodes work well.

The Average Hero

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Go watch the Game Theory episode about PewDiePie. MatPat talks a lot about how YouTube's SEO works and why around 10 minute gaming episodes work well.
I have watched it before, it was awhile back. Thanks!

Reactions: wcrb15

MrBikuo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
Personally for me, I can only watch a video that is between 6-10 mins. Unless it is someone such as jacksepticeye who is really energetic.

The Average Hero

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Personally for me, I can only watch a video that is between 6-10 mins. Unless it is someone such as jacksepticeye who is really energetic.
TOP OF THE MORNIN' TO YE', I'M HOPPED UP ON EVERY KIND OF CAFFEINATED DRINK UNDER THE RAINBOW!

He's quite the character.

Reactions: MrBikuo