Gamers, tips for buying a new mic?

Right now, I record using my actual headphones because that's what I have. But I'm planning on buying an actual microphone. Any suggestions? Things to look for? Things to avoid? Is there such a thing as a good, relatively inexpensive microphone?

I'm currently looking at a blue snowball for my first mic.

Thanks everyone!

From what I know the Blue Snowball is a good starter. But in the Tutorials, Articles and Resources section of this forum there's a microphone guide in the Video production subsection, worth a look there as well.

Honestly the Blue Snowball is an awesome little mic! I used to use headphones as well until I got tired and just impulse bought the Snowball at bestbuy! The quality is really good and if you keep an eye out you could grab one for a good price deal! If you want to spend the extra money you could also look at the Blue yeti which has some more features for recording and slightly better quality. Another mic I've heard of that looks smaller than the Yeti and Snowball is the Samson Meteor and it seems to have really good quality as well!

I have the Blue Snowball, only about 60 bucks i believe.

One thing i would recommend you get if you buy this would be a quiet keyboard, specifically those with the cherry switches. The switches are those little things under the keys..the things that make that bit of noise when you press the keys down. If not, you're going to have a ton of keyboard sound in your recording. Of course these are things to worry about only if you are a Gaming YouTuber. I know there is also something called a Shotgun Microphone, these microphones are usually small..about a little bigger than a golf ball, and are really long like a shotgun. They are supposed to pick up sound very strongly coming from the direction right in front of it. I haven't tried the shotgun mic out and don't know for sure if it will also pick up a little bit of background noise. That being said, I have my setting set on my blue snowball to only pick up sound coming in one direction..and it still picks up my keyboard clicks which is off for the side.

These are just some things that i have experience with and thought i should share. Hope it helps you

Everyone usually says the same, but I use a Blue Snowball both for this channel and my gaming channel. It provided me with some super good medium level quality for my videos and definately improved my stats (views/subs). It's worth the investment. You don't need a pop filter as I haven't seen much change at all from buying one but it's cheap so you should get one.

I have the Blue Snowball, only about 60 bucks i believe.

One thing i would recommend you get if you buy this would be a quiet keyboard, specifically those with the cherry switches. The switches are those little things under the keys..the things that make that bit of noise when you press the keys down. If not, you're going to have a ton of keyboard sound in your recording. Of course these are things to worry about only if you are a Gaming YouTuber. I know there is also something called a Shotgun Microphone, these microphones are usually small..about a little bigger than a golf ball, and are really long like a shotgun. They are supposed to pick up sound very strongly coming from the direction right in front of it. I haven't tried the shotgun mic out and don't know for sure if it will also pick up a little bit of background noise. That being said, I have my setting set on my blue snowball to only pick up sound coming in one direction..and it still picks up my keyboard clicks which is off for the side.

These are just some things that i have experience with and thought i should share. Hope it helps you

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll admit, I didn't know there were actual quiet keyboards! I do the majority of my gaming on console and I found that at first, my mic was picking up my buttons sounds. Now I just put a blanket over my lap and have my controller under it. Seems to work pretty well.

My pc gaming is currently done on a laptop and thankfully, I'm not picking up my keyboard sounds but occasionally pick up my mouse clicks :crying:[DOUBLEPOST=1497156261,1497156150][/DOUBLEPOST]
Everyone usually says the same, but I use a Blue Snowball both for this channel and my gaming channel. It provided me with some super good medium level quality for my videos and definately improved my stats (views/subs). It's worth the investment. You don't need a pop filter as I haven't seen much change at all from buying one but it's cheap so you should get one.

Awesome! Thank you! It will most likely be the one that I go for!

Back