I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here's how I see it.

Longplays work:
  • If you do commentary well.
  • If the video has a lot of material.
  • If your game is one that fans could watch for a long time (most RPGs, Just Cause 3, etc.), or is very popular at the moment.
  • Is a walkthrough, easter egg hunt, or short series on a topic.
  • Is more informative, than entertaining.

Short, edited videos work:
  • If you want more views, or don't do commentary well.
  • If the game is round based.
  • If its not supposed to be a series, or if it is, supposed to be a long series.
  • Is more entertaining, than informative.

Obviously, that isn't always true, but its something I kind of go by.

If you do multiple series, I see no problem with doing either or.

Reactions: Noirulet and mavio

GamingwithNick

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I agree! I think edited walkthroughs are far more entertaining. Usually edit out the walking parts, no action parts etc...

TechSquizz

Our mission is to be the Ultimate Tech Channel!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
What do you guys prefer doing ?

When I say heavily edited I mean like Pewdiepie's videos. Especially if you've watched his Dark Souls series it's insane. He took a game where everyone does a normal playthrough and he edited out all the boring stuff and added a bunch of cool stuff on top of it making it very entertaining. What do you think about videos like these?

And also what's your opinion on unedited playthroughs like theRadBrad does? These are easier to get out because no editing is needed but you have to be really good at commentary.

Do you think someone should do both or stick to a specific style? I think the edited style is for sure more entertaining.
For one you need to find your own style, dont worry about Pewdiepies videos. Also editing hours of gameplay video is boring and will soon eat you up! Seriously another gaming channel? I suppose I cant talk another tech channel lol.

I have a mate that I worked with for years that suddenly start of this year started a Channel with his partner and they travel on a yacht around the world and now are getting invites to holiday destinations and living off the AD money. In less than a year!!! Its defferent and its extreme but it worked.

Mavio I'm sure your an interesting person and can deliver something unique. You just have to sit down and work it out. Start with your goal for your channel and plan backwards from there with the details on how you will implement the structures to achieve your channels goals. From your plan you will work out everything from how you will get subs, views, money, fame, equipment required etc. Or anything else blah blah blah. Best of luck bud! Hope I made sense and come across as trying to help!!!

Proudie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I edit all my videos down to try to get them under 5 minutes, because I notice a large audience won't sit there and watch something that long unless you engage them. I predominantly play Football Manager - which isn't the most attractive of games - but the way I've edited to make it more entertaining (essentially the game is a spreadsheet, decision-based game) has worked for quite a lot of my sub base. It's whether I can adopt it to other games because I want to play a wider range of games rather than stick to just one.

Reactions: mavio

mavio

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I edit all my videos down to try to get them under 5 minutes, because I notice a large audience won't sit there and watch something that long unless you engage them. I predominantly play Football Manager - which isn't the most attractive of games - but the way I've edited to make it more entertaining (essentially the game is a spreadsheet, decision-based game) has worked for quite a lot of my sub base. It's whether I can adopt it to other games because I want to play a wider range of games rather than stick to just one.
Hey I just checked out your channel and subscribed. I'm from Cyprus and I started watching the Ayia Napa series. You are right, ayia napa is where the young people go to get STDs. So many british people there[DOUBLEPOST=1450548904,1450548796][/DOUBLEPOST]
For one you need to find your own style, dont worry about Pewdiepies videos. Also editing hours of gameplay video is boring and will soon eat you up! Seriously another gaming channel? I suppose I cant talk another tech channel lol.

I have a mate that I worked with for years that suddenly start of this year started a Channel with his partner and they travel on a yacht around the world and now are getting invites to holiday destinations and living off the AD money. In less than a year!!! Its defferent and its extreme but it worked.

Mavio I'm sure your an interesting person and can deliver something unique. You just have to sit down and work it out. Start with your goal for your channel and plan backwards from there with the details on how you will implement the structures to achieve your channels goals. From your plan you will work out everything from how you will get subs, views, money, fame, equipment required etc. Or anything else blah blah blah. Best of luck bud! Hope I made sense and come across as trying to help!!!
YEah I think individuality comes out with time. You can't make 1 video and expect a loyal fanbase.

Best of luck to you too. :)

KLENK

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I definitely agree that large audiences won't sit there and watch a video through from beginning to end if it's around 15 minutes long (or even longer).
This is why I try to keep my videos between the 5 and 10 minute mark.... the videos on my channel so far (and upcoming videos) are highly edited highlights of CS:GO and Garry's Mod, so cutting these videos down into shorter videos is the ideal thing to do to keep the audience engaged and entertained. :thumbsup2:

JaePlay

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
use your analytics. success on youtube is also paved with many failures