Gaining views through the community tab

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
A while ago YouTube introduced the new Community feature. As far as I know it's only availible for channels with 10,000+ subs. You can make a poll, add pictures (like instagram) or add an existing video from your channel to the post.

A few days ago I decided to make a community post with a video of mine that I uploaded 1,5 years ago. So not thinking much I released the post.
And guess what happenend.
Within 2 days the video got more views than it usually gets within a whole month.
And it makes sense! All the mobile subscribers see the video in their live feed. So it gets a similar attention as if I would have just uploaded the video and my subscribers get notified about my new video.

So especially in times where I don't have the capacity to upload new videos, I will simply add older videos to the comunity tab and my subscribers will still get my videos into their live feed.

Of course this should only be done with videos that are already older. Otherwise people would not watch the video since they know the video anyways.
But putting ones or twice a week a video into the community tab shouldn't hurt and will give a little boost to the video.

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Great tip, @nad!

Though I would strongly suggest that anyone doing this makes sure that the videos they do this with are still relevant today, and worthwhile to your community.... YouTube being a Google company means that the algorithm will constantly be being developed and looking for people to game the system and serving up less relevant videos. It could become a negative if it generates lots of abandoned views or downvotes because the content isn't relevant/useful in a way it was when it was first posted....

But used with the right content, this sounds like a killer tip!

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Good tip, but sadly I can´t use it, since i don´t have that amount of subscribers!

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Great tip, @nad!

Though I would strongly suggest that anyone doing this makes sure that the videos they do this with are still relevant today, and worthwhile to your community.... YouTube being a Google company means that the algorithm will constantly be being developed and looking for people to game the system and serving up less relevant videos. It could become a negative if it generates lots of abandoned views or downvotes because the content isn't relevant/useful in a way it was when it was first posted....

But used with the right content, this sounds like a killer tip!
Yes of course, only content that is still relevant. I make reviews and tutorials, so it takes quite some time until my videos aren't relevant anymore.
Same should count for comedy, music videos...

Reactions: Iain

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yes of course, only content that is still relevant. I make reviews and tutorials, so it takes quite some time until my videos aren't relevant anymore.
Same should count for comedy, music videos...
In a lot of cases, and for a lot of people, it will, for sure. But for some content - like reviews, unboxing, social commentary, etc.... And even with tutorials of a versioned product, for example... The videos will have a longevity/relevance correlation.

I genuinely wasn't trying to discourage your suggestion, in fact, I think it's genius.I just wanted to add context for others thinking of using it. :) It really is a pro-tip!!

Reactions: nad

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
In a lot of cases, and for a lot of people, it will, for sure. But for some content - like reviews, unboxing, social commentary, etc.... And even with tutorials of a versioned product, for example... The videos will have a longevity/relevance correlation.

I genuinely wasn't trying to discourage your suggestion, in fact, I think it's genius.I just wanted to add context for others thinking of using it. :) It really is a pro-tip!!
You are absolutely right. The video should be old enough so that people don't think "Why this video again" but new enough, that it is still relevant.
Going to post my next video on the community tab now ;)

Reactions: Iain

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You are absolutely right. The video should be old enough so that people don't think "Why this video again" but new enough, that it is still relevant.
Going to post my next video on the community tab now ;)
And for a lot of people, you’ll be providing value in content that they’s Missed out on or weren’t aware of, and for others you’ll be reminding them. It’s a really good idea! :)

aliceromy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
it doesn't make sense to me that the community posts are on the home feed mixed in with video suggestions ... my home feed is now people re-sharing their new videos or informing me that there wont be a video cos they're sick etc etc. i feel like there needs to be a seperate tab! having said that, it's a great idea to share old videos and i'll definitely be doing it ;)

Reactions: nad and Stoobs