Full COPPA/FTC Press Conference

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
We've all heard about this oncoming legal enforcement coming against YT's individual creators.
It's important that you know what's about to happen. Watch the video below in full length to get a sense of the magnitude and seriousness of this issue.

This is no joke - the US government has full intention to make sweeps of millions of YT channels and determine whether any particular one of those is "child directed" or "child appealing".

At one point (around the 15-minute mark), the dude on camera literally said "It's like shooting fish in the barrel. YouTube is barrel, content creators are the fish."
But watch in full to get the full context - it's really important for you and your channel's YT future.

I know there's a link on some government/mainstream media website where this video was ripped from, but I was only able to find a YT link:

moshi

Reaction score
Can you tell me when is the last day to check if your content is or isn't for kids? If the FTC takes comments until 9th, and i've heard last day is 10th... how can we make a decision without knowing if they will modify the rule or not?

Either way, im leaning more and more onto setting everything to private, since even if a lot of kids watch my content since its minecraft, sometimes there's guns and inappropriate memes and stuff, but its mostly fun and lightheaded, so im losing my mind and I may just nuke my channel myself and put it on private. Unless someone can confirm me that the FTC can't do s**t if im in Europe, then I would take a bigger risk before ruining my hard work by flagging it as made for kids....

And I can't listen to that psychopath again after seeing the video of the fish and the barrel. f**k that guy, I hope his kids end up watching inappropriate stuff now that hey are nuking all independent content while trying to replace it with "curated content" that kids will not watch.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Can you tell me when is the last day to check if your content is or isn't for kids? If the FTC takes comments until 9th, and i've heard last day is 10th... how can we make a decision without knowing if they will modify the rule or not?

Either way, im leaning more and more onto setting everything to private, since even if a lot of kids watch my content since its minecraft, sometimes there's guns and inappropriate memes and stuff, but its mostly fun and lightheaded, so im losing my mind and I may just nuke my channel myself and put it on private. Unless someone can confirm me that the FTC can't do s**t if im in Europe, then I would take a bigger risk before ruining my hard work by flagging it as made for kids....

And I can't listen to that psychopath again after seeing the video of the fish and the barrel. f**k that guy, I hope his kids end up watching inappropriate stuff now that hey are nuking all independent content while trying to replace it with "curated content" that kids will not watch.
I don't know the answer to your question, all this makes me just as confused as you. I've just watched a video of a guy who makes My Little Pony videos:

One of his videos ALREADY got auto-tagged by YouTube as Made for Kids. I don't have any proof, but personally I'm fully convinced this has been done by the "machine learning algorithm", especially because he said that particular video was animated from start to finish, unlike his other videos.
YouTube already announced they will have this "COPPA algorithm" operational EVEN THOUGH it wasn't mandated by the court order.

I predict FTC actually relying on YT's algorithms to detect "child-directed" content. YT's is not required to comply, but let's be realistic - if the US government's agency is coming after the content on your platform, would you really resist, huh?

I didn't even know about this dude up until a few minutes ago. He made a solid video on this as well:

Check this out too - these are the websites surveyed by FTC for COPPA compliance:

Link to full document: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=coppasurvey.pdf (click on the first result with a little (PDF) appended on the left side)

Taking the various content just those few websites cover, you bet your a** FTC will be sweeping literally EVERY even remotely "child-directed" looking channel on YT.

Personally, I think my channel will be fine because I literally record my computer screen with Word files, database websites and PDFs in them, so I don't think I'll trigger the "COPPA algorithm".

I can easily see all animated content and all channels appealing to older teenagers and younger adults under serious threat from FTC/COPPA compliance issues.

There's no question content CLEARY MADE for kids under 13 will no longer be viable in 2020 and beyond, and it will surely all vanish from the platform.

DellFan3030

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm just hoping the FTC reconsiders that not every viewer of child-friendly content is literally a kid. I'm hoping that there are literal adults who say they enjoy that same content and destroying these channels would hurt them. I made some videos that involve Sesame Street (in terms of historical reference, as I make videos involving company logos). So basically if they think that my channel is directly targeting children, despite the fact that I said it's not and that most of my videos are more so for teens and adults, then I'm screwed. I'm really hoping the FTC thinks otherwise and give coherent things on what they should do involving people's content.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
We've all heard about this oncoming legal enforcement coming against YT's individual creators.
It's important that you know what's about to happen. Watch the video below in full length to get a sense of the magnitude and seriousness of this issue.

This is no joke - the US government has full intention to make sweeps of millions of YT channels and determine whether any particular one of those is "child directed" or "child appealing".

At one point (around the 15-minute mark), the dude on camera literally said "It's like shooting fish in the barrel. YouTube is barrel, content creators are the fish."
But watch in full to get the full context - it's really important for you and your channel's YT future.

I know there's a link on some government/mainstream media website where this video was ripped from, but I was only able to find a YT link:
look at these chubby cheeks. I hope he will get ten fold in 2020 too.

Last edited:

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
disgusting people work there more likely they dont have their own kids. I wish them all the worst and I am hoping congress will fire them all

fixedsnuffle

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
This is not about protecting kids. It is about protecting the big entertainment networks and the fake news outlets.

Reactions: moshi

what's

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting thoughts. I just started getting into YouTube not so long ago and creating some content. I was looking for information about this just. A friend of mine who works in https://brightvisionevents.co.uk/conferences/ told me that he took part in this conference. So I decided to search and found this thread. I think YouTube generally has the right policy, but sometimes it is too strict. In any case, it is worth hoping that this will benefit the whole society. After all, children are something that we should take care of as a whole, because they are the future of this world and the planet. I hope everything will be fine.

Last edited: