From NOTHING to SOMETHING! - Tips & Tricks (updating)

MrDanINSANE

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Cartoonist, Animator
* I will continue to update this Thread from time to time (stay tuned / follow it)

Hello everybody,
I'm new around here but actually I'm on YouTube since 2006 (old channel) and I'm working on my active channel since 2009 on my spare time.
I've started like everybody else with NONE subscribers or views, and today I have about 14,000 subscribers that are very supportive, and I love and respect them all.

Please note:
I may not have BILLIONS of subscribers, I'm not a famous YouTuber, and I don't have so many views BUT I am a partner for a few years now, My videos have pretty much high rate compare to others, Most of my subscribers are TRUE FANS (my YT inbox is flooded with new requests and questions every day)
And most important: I'm still learning and that's why I would like to give the tips from my point of view and personal experience in order to help those who just wondering or confused.

Let's begin:

1. In order to became SOMEBODY on YouTube, you need to work hard! (prepare for hard work!)

2. Making 100% original content will do you only good (Video, Music, or even both).

3. If you're opening a YouTube account in order to get rich! ...You're doing the wrong thinking.

4. If you're opening a YouTube account in order to CREATE and entertain or share your videos with the world! You're in the right direction!

5. Yes, you may gain lots of money (in the future), but back to #1 You'll need to work hard on your content! so don't focus on that, focus on your channel, fans, content!

6. In order to build up your channel from nothing to something, Aim and focus on something you really like, once your content based on something, you're ready to build your own empire!

7. Ignore the number of views you gain (at least at start), focus on creating your content!

8. Try to build a Fan-Base and not just collect "views", once you'll have few fans you'll be encourage from their comments, rating, and it will push you to create more and more!

9. INTERACT with your viewers, Ask them questions or challenge them on your videos from time to time, Reply to all the comments you can, and if you're a nice person you'll gain more and more fans!

10. COLLABORATE with YouTubers that have the same amount of subscribers you have.

11. If your content is VERY special and high quality, Try to collaborate with bigger YouTubers (you can't lose, just give it a shot, sometimes it will help).

12. DON'T collaborate with a YouTuber because he or she have lots of views or subscribers! That won't help your channel! WHY? because they may have a different audience then you.
For example: If you're doing Vlogs videos and the YT you want to collab with doing drama... or make-up or comedy, their audience won't necessary like your content and won't watch your stuff or subscribe to you.

13. With the new YouTube layout (2013), Make a nice banner on your channel that will be a nice thing for newcomers to see and make them curious about your content.

14. Use the "Trailer" for unsubscribe viewers in order to attract them, Put either your best video in there or a video that you made especially to introduce your channel, That's very helpful.

15. When random people just send you an email via your YT inbox, Be nice, Kind, answer their questions and try to help.
They may subscribe to you when they'll see how nice you are.

16. When others ask to collab with you and you are at the very beginning, give it a chance, it will help you collect more content and you will appear in other channels (even if both of you are very small), it can only help you get known by others.

17. DON'T just upload any video to your channel! if you think that your video is not good enough, DON'T upload it! ask your friends and family what they think, opinions may help you at the beginning.

18. Now the negative from #17 - Once you've got the direction of your videos and you know what you're doing DON'T always listen to others (it works two ways, use your brain and feelings).
LISTEN TO YOURSELF! if you like your video, UPLOAD IT! sometimes it won't be as good as you think and it may fail, but sometimes it will be more successful than you even imagine!

19. MOST IMPORTANT: "Feed the Monster" - YouTube is a very hungry monster it wants food all the time, in a form of high quality videos of course. So try to make lots of content (again, high quality! not junk).

20. BEST thing to do is to build a schedule for yourself and for your audience:
Make a specific day as your "UPLOADING DAY" once your audience get used to a specific day once per week you will grow much faster compare to random uploads here and there.

21. Once you're have a base-audience and you're gaining more subscribers, That's your cue to push yourself WORK EVEN HARDER!
Now you have a bigger reason to create content!

22. Remember: YouTube is a very hard work, you must keep trying... and trying... for a long time (unless you've got lucky pretty fast, who knows that could happen!) just stick to it and don't quit because you've got tired... That's a tip for real-life and not only for YT ;)

23. Think OUT OF THE BOX! - Don't be afraid to make stuff that nobody have seen before, people rather watch original content than just something they already seen in different shape before.

24. IGNORE the haters, there will be always stupid trolls and haters that are jealous on you or just trying to be noticed by using the power of the comments... IGNORE THEM! focus on the good comments and let them encourage you!

25. THUMBS UP v.s. THUMBS DOWN - Remember: even if your video have lots of Thumbs Down it's not bad as you might think, I'll explain why: If somebody watch your video and don't like it, they should just not click anything. But when somebody clicked Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down they actually REACT to your video, they want to say something ...it counts! and that's better than ignoring these buttons.

26. Once you've upload a new video, SHARE it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ forums you're hanging on and sometimes it will spread from itself! (nice people will always share your content and help you out).

27. DON'T flood your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ Forums, etc... just DON'T! People will unsubscribe to you once you'll flood them with your videos more than you should, be gentle and respect others, you will get your respect back and gain more people to like you and your content.

28. ReTweet and SHARE other YouTubers videos that you actually like! You can call it good karma, Because it will make others to also ReTweet and Share your videos in the future!
But be real: Share stuff that you actually liked and not just because you "need to share" :)

29. From time to time, don't be shy and share your love with your fans (even if you have only 10 or less!), let them know how much you respect their support :)

30. If you heard of a competition related to videos or anything on other YouTube channel, give it a shot! you can't lose even if you're not winning! WHY? Because you've got yourself extra content ;)
But remember: Do your best and don't just make a poor video because of the deadline.

31. Good at what you do? Make TUTORIALS! people would love to learn from you!

32. Have a successful video already? Make a behind the scenes, show how you've made it!

33. LEARN your audience! Check out your analytics from your YouTube channel and take notes, What is your best video so far? How come it's so good compare to others? who's your audience? Females? Males? What are the ages who watch your content most? Where they are coming from? and more!

34. IF you're starting to have many videos, Do a clean-up from time to time and delete some videos that are not "working" compare to others. it will help to raise up the overall quality of your content in your channel!

35. Try to avoid uploading super-short videos (5-10 seconds or less), most of the viewers will be mad at you... unless it's REALLY amazing! but still.. don't get used to it.

36. DESCRIPTION BAR a.k.a. ABOUT (in the new layout) is your best friend! Put your most important links that you like to promote, either your Subscribe link, last video, social network or even a question for your fans related to the video!

37. ANNOTATIONS are very useful! USE them but don't flood he screen with it, make sure it won't get too annoying, especially during your video. A good thing is to put them either on the beginning or the end of the video.

38. REMEMBER: consider the current technology ANNOTATIONS may not appear on every smart phone or other devices so use the ABOUT (description box) as higher priority!

39. MAKE YOUR LIFE MUCH EASIER: go to your settings and start to fill in your default ABOUT (description box) with the tags and links that you will promote anyway, it will appear on your NEXT upload and you may tweak, add, remove only what you need (it will save you lots of time!)

40. UPLOAD on UNLISTED MODE! Yes, you should do that, WHY? That's simple: Once your video is up, by default it goes live, it will be sent automatically to all your subscribers and you won't have time to add your annotations. BUT... If you'll upload in UNLISTED mode, the video won't go live so you'll have all the time in the world to add annotations + you can test it, when you're done switch from UNLISTED to PUBLIC and everybody will see your annotations!

41. NEVER FORGET that Your channel is 2 main things:
YOU! (your content) and YOUR AUDIENCE! (without them, your content is worthless).
if you'll put this on your mind and make your content for YOURSELF and FOR THEM you're in the good direction!

42. NEVER make lots of content because of quantity, ALWAYS make content for quality!
In the world of YouTube, quantity only matters when you are already huge!

43. Make different kinds of videos on your channel, who knows, maybe you'll find something new you like to create, it will open a new window of extra ideas for your future content!

44. REMEMBER: Your audience/subscribers/fans are NOT STUPID!
Never Ever! take them as granted, at the speed they came and subscribed they can do the opposite if you'll ever disrespect them in either your videos, content or in any other form.
You're not suppose to agree with all the opinions, but be a nice person it will help you a lot :)

45. BE YOURSELF, Don't let others to change your style unless you want the change!

46. Changes are not always a bad thing, but don't go too far! You may lose your old audience who already are much more than just subscribers, they are already fans!

47. Work on your Playlists once in a while, Refresh them, Update them, Do your best to get them in the right categories and not only by randomness. Organize is something NEW Subscribers will notice first!

48. IS SOMETHING WRONG with your new videos? something is not working? you're starting to lose subscribers and views? DO YOUR HOMEWORK:
Look back to your older videos (months, years, etc..) read the comments or at least some of them, try to understand what was good back there and learn from your past success and fails!

49. Once in a while, Sit down, watch some of your videos with friends & family. I know, it's strange but wait.. there is a reason: Look at them how they react to each video, Do they "suffer" do they "enjoy" it? take notes! You'll know how to improve without even asking their opinions!

50. Just like in #48 but the opposite, GREAT SUCCESS? Make sure you know why? and where it come from! that's how you'll get even bigger success in the future!

51. The more active you'll be in YouTube (nice comments + reply to others) the bigger chances that new people will notice you and may visit + subscribe to your channel!

52. PARODIES! you can do parodies from time to time (It's not have to be your channel main thing) it may get you notice on other "areas" on the internetsss... :D

53. Already got a tons of videos? from time to time SHARE them AGAIN, some people on your social network may never seen it before. (but don't flood... be gentle about it).

54. What's your TALENT? great! Make an AWESOME video with YOUR TALENT so people will be amazed or inspired!

55. Make your YouTube channel "A THING!", Create a Facebook fan page for it, tell your friends, update it whenever you upload a new video (same goes for Twitter, Blogger, Personal Website etc..).

56. More to come... stay tuned! :thumbsup2: (watch this thread / favorite it)

Edit: Just updated few more tips & tricks!

I hope that my tips helped you a bit and maybe even encourage you to get out there and do your best! I will try to update this thread from time to time so stay tuned.
I believe in you, Now you should start believe in yourself! ;)
Good Luck everybody!

* Sorry about my bad English.:unsure:

Daniel

YTtalk's Juicy Lemon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow, thats some great tips, thank you for sharing them. Hope you see you around more. :)

Reactions: alon

Blue Scr33n Corp.

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
These are some great tips man, thank you so much ! I've learnt a lot actually from this. :smug:

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
Welcome to YTTalk and great post.. I loved your tips.. I am going to have to check your channel out.
Again thanks for the tips and the post!

ForeverAlonePrick

I don't know what's going on.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey there! Glad to meet a veteran YouTuber! I think that all of your advice is very well put. I think it can all be boiled down to the simple philosophy of not being an ******* towards your (potential) audience. Make content they'll like and find inventive ways to get it to them!

TweekIk

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
GREAT tips & Binding of Isaac:joyful2: = refresh your page and check your amount of subscribers :D

MrDanINSANE

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Cartoonist, Animator
Hey there! Glad to meet a veteran YouTuber! I think that all of your advice is very well put. I think it can all be boiled down to the simple philosophy of not being an ******* towards your (potential) audience. Make content they'll like and find inventive ways to get it to them!
Thanks! honor to meet you and everybody else in this amazing community.
I'm 100% agree with you on this because it's a way of life :)