FREE Green Screen Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have seen a few other threads on here about how to get or make cheap green screens, however they still usually cost money or materials. Wouldn't you like a green screen that costed you absolutely nothing? How about a greenscreen that didn't require you to key out the green? And how about a green screen that you could wear the color green on?

Sounds impossible... right?

WRONG! I've got this great new idea that I just tried. I was skeptical that it would work at first, but when I looked at the footage I was stunned. You only need two things...

1. A camera
(obviously)

2. A Television
Why would you need a TV? I'll tell you why...

So the first thing you do is find the background image or video and would be in the background of the subject. You take that clip or picture and find a way to put it on the TV. The way I did it way simply putting my video on a flash drive and hooking it up to my XBOX and playing it on the TV from there.

Once you have your video or image playing on the TV all you need is your subject. Have them stand in front on the TV ( I had to sit because my TV is lower to the ground ) an start your camera. All you have to do is position your camera so that it crops out everything around the TV. It's very helpful to have a tripod when doing this to get the correct framing, and that's it!

That's how to make a virtually free green screen with the materials you have at home. I hope this helps and thanks for reading!

echoraven

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sounds like the old filmaking technique called rear projection or something like that.

TMJBtv

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Haha sorry but this isnt a good alternative cus you'd need a very big tv and a camera filming a tv would produce very sub par quality scenes unfortunately .
Nice idea anyways :p

iDeviceTube

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A long time ago i just went to the dollar store got a 4 large green pieces of paper of paper (buy one get one free) taped them to the wall then bam $2 green screen! Works pretty good as long as you have good lighting.

EJRicketts

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A long time ago i just went to the dollar store got a 4 large green pieces of paper of paper (buy one get one free) taped them to the wall then bam $2 green screen! Works pretty good as long as you have good lighting.
I did exactly the same thing and it worked really well!

Reactions: ApexTV

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What I've done instead is a TAD more expensive, but I mean, dirt cheap when compared.

I made a frame with PVC pipe so it's super light weight. I drilled a few holes into it and hung up green felt from the craft store. using zip ties and grommets I put into the felt. It's light weight so I can move it in/out easily, and slides since it's plastic PVC against the carpet. I slide it out behind me, good to go. Slide it out when I'm done. Light it up with a table lamp or two, and there we go!

Reactions: Mattaxol

ApexTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh yeah! I can say I have done that a few times! Works great, but a problem that I ran into while doing that came with buying the tape. I thought it would be a good idea to attach it to the wall with green duct tape, but sadly it wasn't the same shade of green as the green paper! So be sure they match or do what I later did and put the tape behind the paper and use clear scotch tape for the edges!

ApexTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What I've done instead is a TAD more expensive, but I mean, dirt cheap when compared.

I made a frame with PVC pipe so it's super light weight. I drilled a few holes into it and hung up green felt from the craft store. using zip ties and grommets I put into the felt. It's light weight so I can move it in/out easily, and slides since it's plastic PVC against the carpet. I slide it out behind me, good to go. Slide it out when I'm done. Light it up with a table lamp or two, and there we go!
Great idea! I just might do that![DOUBLEPOST=1436759607,1436759578][/DOUBLEPOST]
I did exactly the same thing and it worked really well!
Thanks for trying, glad it worked![DOUBLEPOST=1436759677][/DOUBLEPOST]
Haha sorry but this isnt a good alternative cus you'd need a very big tv and a camera filming a tv would produce very sub par quality scenes unfortunately .
Nice idea anyways :p
It's very true that you would need a large TV, but it's great for beginners, like I used to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.