Fraps vs Mirillis Action vs Dxtory vs Bandicam Game Recording

Michael Guinn

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What do you use to record? Do you like it? Any past experiences with other software?

Personally I use Mirillis Action. I used Fraps for a bit but the file sizes were just ridiculous even with 3 TB of space...

I just did a comparison video using far cry 3 if you would like to check it out.
watch?v=BvD0Sz3AhAU

I did the trial for Dxtory and Bandicam.
Bandicam was okay, but had some minor (but noticeable) frame lag. Dxtory was confusing to use and had a lot of lag in the video. Maybe there is a perfect settings configuration, but I tweaked them and changed it so many times it shouldn't be that hard to get a reasonable recording.

Edit: I got Dxtory to work much better, finally found the right settings.
Bandicam also works better if you use Xvid codec instead of Mpeg-1 but it doubles the file size which is still 4 times smaller than fraps.

deesrojournal

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What do you use to record? Do you like it? Any past experiences with other software?

Personally I use Mirillis Action. I used Fraps for a bit but the file sizes were just ridiculous even with 3 TB of space...

I just did a comparison video using far cry 3 if you would like to check it out.
watch?v=BvD0Sz3AhAU

I did the trial for Dxtory and Bandicam.
Bandicam was okay, but had some minor (but noticeable) frame lag. Dxtory was confusing to use and had a lot of lag in the video. Maybe there is a perfect settings configuration, but I tweaked them and changed it so many times it shouldn't be that hard to get a reasonable recording.

Edit: I got Dxtory to work much better, finally found the right settings.
Bandicam also works better if you use Xvid codec instead of Mpeg-1 but it doubles the file size which is still 4 times smaller than fraps.
can you share the dxtory settings? I use fraps too and 1:30 min clip around 4GBs. I would like to try dxtory but wouldn't want to if it was too complicated.

Michael Guinn

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
can you share the dxtory settings? I use fraps too and 1:30 min clip around 4GBs. I would like to try dxtory but wouldn't want to if it was too complicated.
Make sure you have the 2.0 version of Dxtory

In the folder settings. Select your designated folder and run the benchmark (again not sure if that really has any effect or is just informational)

Under movie settings at the Dxtory video codec. click "High Quality" NOT
"True Quality".
Make sure you have the "Compress" option checked. Of all the settings that helped the most.

I would have Frame Rate at 60 just in case of random lag that way you can still keep 30 fps regardless if you upload to youtube. If you want the file size smaller set the Frame Rate to 30.

This should be all. Try it out and I hope it works well for you :)

depthoffield

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
thanks I've been wondering this exact question

Michael Guinn

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
thanks I've been wondering this exact question
Your welcome.

Something which could be good to know is if you have a capture card already like Elgato. You can just plug your pc into that and into a monitor/tv then record. But you MUST play in fullscreen, because it records your desktop not just the game.

There is almost no quality loss (minor loss because of the way it records/compresses) but it could definitely be a good way to record without buying a different software. Of course if you don't have a capture card I recommend spending $30-$40 on a different software rather than $150 for a capture card lol.

Dalton Davis

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Designer
Fraps is the best. But be prepared with a large hard drive. I have some files that are around the 15 GB range and thats for a 22 minute file. But compress the files with Handbrake and you're set!

Michael Guinn

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Fraps is the best. But be prepared with a large hard drive. I have some files that are around the 15 GB range and thats for a 22 minute file. But compress the files with Handbrake and you're set!
Watch my video. Mirillis Action works equally with Fraps in terms of Quality and it's about half the file size.

I used to use fraps and one time had a 200GB file for an hour and a half of gameplay.
Just recorded an hour with Mirillis Action and it was 85.5GB sooo much better. and if I used the quick sync feature it would auto compress it to MP4 and have been probably under 15GB for that length.

Dalton Davis

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Designer
Watch my video. Mirillis Action works equally with Fraps in terms of Quality and it's about half the file size.

I used to use fraps and one time had a 200GB file for an hour and a half of gameplay.
Just recorded an hour with Mirillis Action and it was 85.5GB sooo much better. and if I used the quick sync feature it would auto compress it to MP4 and have been probably under 15GB for that length.
Hey thats awesome to know! I'll look into it!