Fraps or Camstasia?

CandyPhantom

"Random" is my second name
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've been contemplating on what screen capture software I'm gonna use now. I am previously using Fraps but I'm considering Camstasia too. In your opinion, which do you think is better to use?

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Try OBS Studio, it's probably the best solution and combination of quality and light weight on resources

Reactions: Lightsen

CandyPhantom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I consider Fraps for games only, never used it for actual screen recording.
I use Fraps for game recording and screen recording and I really liked it but I do encounter problems about it. It gets me frustrated at times

OfficialRPGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Fraps has huge file sizes, that's a big downfall, and some games like ark don't support it unfortunately.... at least as far as i can tell.. I personally have upgraded to an Nvidia GPU which now comes with shadow play (a graphics card powered game/screen capture) it's technically free, just pay the costs of a new graphics card (a 1060 only costs about $200) and it's incredibly easy to use, not as big as fraps videos either. Also super customizable, obs and xsplit are good, i've used xsplit, they work well on desktops, but personally i'd recommend shadow play if possible

CandyPhantom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Try OBS Studio, it's probably the best solution and combination of quality and light weight on resources
I've heard of OBS Studio a while back but I didn't really know much about it so I've never considered it. What do you mean, "light weight on resources"?

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
What do you mean, "light weight on resources"?
Compared to Fraps OBS Studio takes a lot less resources to record, which in turn means the game runs more fluid, with Fraps it often lost framerate or slowed down often, stuff that with OBS doesn't happen.

CandyPhantom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Fraps has huge file sizes, that's a big downfall, and some games like ark don't support it unfortunately.... at least as far as i can tell.. I personally have upgraded to an Nvidia GPU which now comes with shadow play (a graphics card powered game/screen capture) it's technically free, just pay the costs of a new graphics card (a 1060 only costs about $200) and it's incredibly easy to use, not as big as fraps videos either. Also super customizable, obs and xsplit are good, i've used xsplit, they work well on desktops, but personally i'd recommend shadow play if possible
That is true. Videos from fraps take up a lot of my disk space. I didn't know that some games don't support fraps, though. I am also considering upgrading to an Nvidia but I'm still hesitating on that one.

PandaXo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would definitely suggest using OBS. It'll give you the most options and records better than either Fraps or Camtasia. HOWEVER, with OBS you will need to watch some tutorials on setting it up as it can get complicated. Tutorials will walk you right through the set up and teach you everything you need to know about using it. A little tip, especially if you have a slower or more outdated PC, save the recordings in a separate drive if it's possible. It'll help with the overall quality of the video as your C drive won't be running a game and capturing video/audio as well.

CandyPhantom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would definitely suggest using OBS. It'll give you the most options and records better than either Fraps or Camtasia. HOWEVER, with OBS you will need to watch some tutorials on setting it up as it can get complicated. Tutorials will walk you right through the set up and teach you everything you need to know about using it. A little tip, especially if you have a slower or more outdated PC, save the recordings in a separate drive if it's possible. It'll help with the overall quality of the video as your C drive won't be running a game and capturing video/audio as well.
I'll definitely give OBS Studio a try! Thank you for the suggestion! That little tip is highly appreciated, thanks! :)