Fox Business used my content! No permission asked =(

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
So you would pay, what, $5k for an attorney to recover your damages of a $99 licensing fee?
Sucks I know, but my guess is your options are limited.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
maybe you can get them to share/ retweet something of yours using their exposure to drive you some traffic as a thank you? Have you tried talking to them first? Their are media.. same as you.. they might be as easy to talk to as peoples on here.
Or another idea.. since almost half is your content.. trim a couple of seconds off their edit so that 51% percent is yours and upload as your channel trailer titled "Racegrooves - as featured on FOX !!'.. How cool would look? Very professional. They can hardly complain when they did same? and used your footage!
Damn it! i generally only have one good idea per week and I've used it up on you now lol

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I think the most you’ll get from it is them adding your channel name somewhere as credit. They’re a big business, so I don’t see any way for you to get much else.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@UhoohExtra I'd rather get paid. They chose to not create the b-role themselves nor acquire it from a reputable source. As you mentioned, it's nearly half of their segment. That's definitely not fair use. It's not fair use by any means.

They frequently talk about China being guilty of stealing intellectual property then they go and do the same thing!

@Seansie You're right. They are big business. They should know better.

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Now I’m curious to how often Fox and others do this. And how often it goes unnoticed by the original creators.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First off, they used it like B-role which should be licensed.
Secondly, 15 seconds out of their 36 second report is my footage! Almost half!
It happens all the time to my videos. News agencies, TV networks, online magazines, fans etc, repost my videos, make compilations, blatantly freeboot and upload them on daily/hourly basis. Hopefully YouTube ContentID and Facebook Rights Manager catches most of them, but not all.

Is this on twitter?
First thing to do is fill DMCA notice.
help.twitter.com/forms/dmca
Then you can start negotiating with Fox Business, if they approach you. It doesn't matter if it is big corporation or small, they are not above the law. I have taken down or claimed many videos from very huge channels and pages, without any trouble since it is my content they used, without my permission.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It happens all the time to my videos. News agencies, TV networks, online magazines, fans etc, repost my videos, make compilations, blatantly freeboot and upload them on daily/hourly basis. Hopefully YouTube ContentID and Facebook Rights Manager catches most of them, but not all.

Is this on twitter?
First thing to do is fill DMCA notice.
help.twitter.com/forms/dmca
Then you can start negotiating with Fox Business, if they approach you. It doesn't matter if it is big corporation or small, they are not above the law. I have taken down or claimed many videos from very huge channels and pages, without any trouble since it is my content they used, without my permission.
Thanks for the Twitter DMCA link. The first thing that I did was to make records of the tweets and download the video for evidence. Then, I filed reports on each of the multiple times that they have posted the video.

I will share if Twitter does anything about it.