For Those Who Make Discussion Videos...

Reverofenola

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Basically videos where you just talk and your overall opinion about something or someone you enjoy.

Do you add background music to those videos? And if so what level of volume do you use to make i sure it does not drown out your voice? I personally use Sony Vegas.

Graveilgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Basically videos where you just talk and your overall opinion about something or someone you enjoy.

Do you add background music to those videos? And if so what level of volume do you use to make i sure it does not drown out your voice? I personally use Sony Vegas.
When I've done this before, I always had music, I think the video is to bare without it, but really quietly, so its faintly heard in the background and when ever there's a slight pause in voice. Just enough to keep the mellow non-awkward silent vibe. Just move the % level of volume to your music up and down and listen to it next to your recorded voice (audacity is a good app for this), then you can mess about and make sure it's not too quiet or too loud.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Background music and sound effects are always a plus to most types of videos created because it brings life to a video.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
To me background music is essential and depending on how loud the music might be I'll be lowering it pretty significantly. Could be -10db or -20db. For me this brings the video to life because there will be times when you do get quiet when thinking about what to talk about. Even if it's only a second. =] Hope that helps.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
In review videos, where I discuss a bunch of different subjects, I don't use background music. I would need to find a ton of different songs that fit the tone of each different segment of the review, and it would take far too long and extend my already glacial production time by a ridiculous amount (partly because I'm super picky with music).

In videos about a specific topic, where the tone of the discussion largely stays the same, I do use music, usually between 2 to 4 different songs.

Sony Vegas has an audio volume adjuster for each audio track. You can just slide it or input the -db you want to find exactly what sounds good to you. I want the music just slightly audible, but never loud enough to steal attention or even get close to matching the loudness of the speech. If somebody was to listen at a very low volume where you can just barely hear my words, the music wouldn't be heard.