Focusing on the right numbers

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Being a small channel, I know it can seem discouraging not seeing thousands of subscribers coming in every month. This is also unrealistic, so I started focusing on different statistics.

Much like a business, I believe the biggest numbers you can pay attention to are the percentages of change. Since almost 2 weeks ago, I gained 176 subscribers. That may seem nothing for a large channel, but I only had 115 when I started tracking. That's a growth of 153%, which means I must be onto something. Similar numbers can be found with engagement, track the numbers of comments you're getting. The more comments you have, the more other people want to comment.

I hope this can help others who feel stuck. I've found out that this (YouTube) is not an overnight thing, and a lot of work has to go into it. What may work for some may not also work for you. Retain your goals for subscribers, views, etc., but concentrate on trends and adjust your strategy accordingly.

Tyler Kelley

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Being a small channel, I know it can seem discouraging not seeing thousands of subscribers coming in every month. This is also unrealistic, so I started focusing on different statistics.

Much like a business, I believe the biggest numbers you can pay attention to are the percentages of change. Since almost 2 weeks ago, I gained 176 subscribers. That may seem nothing for a large channel, but I only had 115 when I started tracking. That's a growth of 153%, which means I must be onto something. Similar numbers can be found with engagement, track the numbers of comments you're getting. The more comments you have, the more other people want to comment.

I hope this can help others who feel stuck. I've found out that this (YouTube) is not an overnight thing, and a lot of work has to go into it. What may work for some may not also work for you. Retain your goals for subscribers, views, etc., but concentrate on trends and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Great advice man! As a small channel myself I think it really is invaluable to not get discouraged, when you do - you don't have the same hustle attitude towards everything that you need!

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great advice man! As a small channel myself I think it really is invaluable to not get discouraged, when you do - you don't have the same hustle attitude towards everything that you need!
That is very true. The beginning stages are the hardest that I've seen, and others would seem to agree. It's a lot of work, but you can start seeing progress later.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree:) When you think things are going slow it can be a good idea to look at percentages (it is simple math:)) using statictics this way is clasic by the the way but never the less a good tip that can help a lot of us:up2: a growth of 153% is a HUGE step forward so you are doing pretty good....

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's a growth of 153%, which means I must be onto something. Similar numbers can be found with engagement, track the numbers of comments you're getting. The more comments you have, the more other people want to comment..
That's a great way of looking at it and for sure your content is create, engaging and a perfect sound quality So i think also you are onto something...keep it up

The Big Plume

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Awesome advice. My sub growth is slow but my overall watch time has been increasing so I focus on that more than anything right now.

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the feedback guys. So far the largest contributor to sub growth for me has been doing giveaways. Not just blindly holding them, but being active in the Facebook community to establish a reputation as someone they can like and trust. This helps not just gets subs, but keep them.