Focusing DSLR

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone,

I was wondering how you go about focusing your DSLR manually when recording alone and say 8ft away from the camera, does adjusting the aperture to a smaller one help? Does anyone know any techniques/tips to achieve proper focus when on your own? I understand people use remote controls for this but can you do it without one?

Thanks

AlveyMusic

probably late for something
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hey,

Are you going to be sitting in front of the camera like talking? (News, vlog type?)

Reactions: Michael

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering how you go about focusing your DSLR manually when recording alone and say 8ft away from the camera, does adjusting the aperture to a smaller one help? Does anyone know any techniques/tips to achieve proper focus when on your own? I understand people use remote controls for this but can you do it without one?

Thanks
I have a Nikon D3100 and from the little experience I have, I would say what lense you use matters LOADS. For e.g. the one I have 18-55mm does not zoom too good, but is great for macro shots and general 'close' shots. I hate auto. The way I see it, auto is for amateurs, if you're gonna spend hundreds on an SLR, learn the manuals and you'll have better pics :D

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
I sit a tall lamp or just something tall where I am going to be standing, focus it on that then stand where it is and record

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks everyone, it will be a vlog style video either standing or sat. I did manually focus earlier today by holding a sheet of paper up and it turned out alright, the autofocus STM lens I have is meant to autofocus well but it kept focusing fine and then going out of focus or it looked focused from a distance looking at the LCD but it didn't turn out focused.

I normally shoot everything in manual but the lens is meant to be decent for autofocusing in video:

http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/canon-ef-40mm-f-2-8-stm.html?gclid=CKDm9aX_z7QCFSHHtAodmRkAeA

Thanks for the tip Brodie, I might get someone to come and manually focus me in a certain spot and then record afterwards and make sure to keep it there :D

Reactions: Brodie

AlveyMusic

probably late for something
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah I would go with what Brodie said. Just put something in your scene where you will be, focus on it, then record you.

Best of luck to you!

Hardisk

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Protip :​
Plant your camera to teh ground with a tripod, zoom as far as the background (where you'll be standing), do your manual focus there, unzoom and tad-freaking-dah, the background is still in focus :)

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Protip :​
Plant your camera to teh ground with a tripod, zoom as far as the background (where you'll be standing), do your manual focus there, unzoom and tad-freaking-dah, the background is still in focus :)
Interesting thank you, does this work without any zoom too? I assume it does. So just focus on say a green screen for example, as long as thats in focus you will be too when stood in front of it?

Hardisk

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Interesting thank you, does this work without any zoom too? I assume it does. So just focus on say a green screen for example, as long as thats in focus you will be too when stood in front of it?
If your lens has a fixed focal length then it's easy you just have to focus the background and.. well.. go talk to the camera in the background :p

You don't even have to use an object as a reference, in a situation like in a street, I just zoom in to the max focal length , focus , dezoom, done.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am going to try this today, this sounds so easy, thanks a lot :D