Finding Your Audience

Peter_Brown

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Getting your video noticed on YouTube takes a while. Anyone who says they’ve got a quick fix is lying to you, but there are a lot of things you can do to help get exposure. I don’t want this post to come off an an expert opinion, because the truth is, it’s anything but. In my mind, sharing your work is super necessary and hopefully this information will help someone else get a bit more of the exposure that they were looking for.

YouTube has over a billion users. A billion. Wow. In 2015 – 500 Hours of Video Uploaded To YouTube Every Minute. The point is not that it's hard to get notice but rather that there is not a shortage of people who could potentially be watching what you do! So how do you get your video in front if their eyes?

I believe that there is an audience for every video on YouTube, but you need to find one that is comparable with what you do. That doesn’t just mean posting with a catchy title like “MOST AMAZING VIDEO EVER!” and crossing your fingers. You need to share it with people who would be interested in it.

As a video creator it is easy to think all you have to do is post a video to YouTube and let the system do the rest. The truth is, with the sheer number of videos and cannonade of sounds emanating from the gaping maw that is YouTube, if you don’t promote yourself then your not going to find your audience. Finding your audience is the real key to connecting with people and growing your channel.

What sites are popular with people who watch your genre of video?
Are there relevant forums or Reddit subs that you can post to?
What about Facebook communities you can be a apart of?
Are you active in those online communities?
Do you follow all the rules laid out by the sites for sharing your work?
Do you answer questions or otherwise engage people there?
What bonuses can you give when sharing your video. (An insight on the video topic. A paragraph outlining your view?)
What makes this video worth watching?
If you were a member of that forum/site would you be enticed enough to click through and watch?

CrazyPUA

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
This are some great tips and I agree with all of it. Some people might get lucky, but only the 0.000000001 might get lucky.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Great tips, thank you! I'm still in the process of finding communities focussed on education that promote the content of others, but it's the Internet; there's bound to be something out there!

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
These are really good points. Marketing and sharing is such a vital component to a channels growth. Thanks man :)

Winger94

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Very good topic! Just yesterday I wrote a post on Reddit talking about this ( the promotion stuff, how to do that and in what measure). I think that promoting is good but I guess that people underestimate one thing: promotion can be made even without sharing the links, but also with activity on the communities (helping other people and stuff).

Peter_Brown

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Very good topic! Just yesterday I wrote a post on Reddit talking about this ( the promotion stuff, how to do that and in what measure). I think that promoting is good but I guess that people underestimate one thing: promotion can be made even without sharing the links, but also with activity on the communities (helping other people and stuff).
This is a very good point, and you're right.

It isn't ONE thing. It's all of them together.

There are lots of things you can actively do to help your growth. Obviously making quality videos with interesting content is important. If you're videos aren't quality or at least entertaining, than it all becomes much more of a struggle. Lets presume that that isn't our issue. Lets say, that we just need a platform to get heard and seen...

Aside from sharing, you can just be apart of the YouTube community, Commenting on other YouTubers who share your genre. Featuring other channels on your YouTube sidebar. Send them an email, let them know you're featuring them. Maybe they will reciprocate. Doing collaborations with other YouTubers means you both get access to an entire different audience. As a makers, I've built things for other channels. Shout outs can help a lot too.