Filming with your phone?

Tyron Fedrick

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Some camera phones have better quality than some of the lower budget cameras out there. I'd just say make sure you're filming somewhere with enough lighting and you'll be fine.

Shawn Gossman

Reaction score
My strategy is this...

I have a GoPro that I will use as my main camera for most of my videos. However, when I do "quick vlogs" for the channel, I'll use the iPhone. Those videos will be quick and not usually edited. Then I have my SLR for photography for my videos. :)

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Stabilize the phone and get good lighting, and the quality will be okay. But there is definitely a difference in using a phone and a solid DSLR camera.

BROWNSinTOWN

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
try to buy a temporary cheap priced gimbal. Most famous youtubers film with their phones attached to a gimbal which allows stabilization while you're moving or even when you're stationary. Vlogging is really easy on it as well.

JamaicanChampion

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
All of my videos on my channel I record with my phone but I edit it on my PC (Some of the videos I edited on my phone when my pc was broken)

Reactions: alexoah and Andreea

Portajerzey

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've used a galaxy s5 before I bought a camera, one thin that you should do is make sure the recording cam is clean, that way it records clear, practice how to hold the phone and how to talK when recording with it

Reactions: alexoah and Andreea

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I shoot my vlogs with an iPhone 7 Plus and you can definitely tell where it does well, and where it does not. I shot this vlog during my Christmas break back home with my family, and you can definitely tell that even the iP7+ does extremely well in the sunlight, and not so well in the shadows. One thing I recommend with the iPhones, if possible, record with the front facing camera as much as you can. Yes, the FFC is still good and you can see yourself, but the back camera is far superior in terms of the amount of light that the camera can take in. More light/less noise.As far as editing, I would not use YouTube's stitch software. I'd use something more powerful like Adobe Premiere. Messing with color corrections/filters and other color effects can also reduce the amount of noise in your videos.

If you want to see video quality for reference, the Christmas vlog on my channel was shot with the iP7+

Reactions: Andreea

Andreea

Reaction score
I shoot my vlogs with an iPhone 7 Plus and you can definitely tell where it does well, and where it does not. I shot this vlog during my Christmas break back home with my family, and you can definitely tell that even the iP7+ does extremely well in the sunlight, and not so well in the shadows. One thing I recommend with the iPhones, if possible, record with the front facing camera as much as you can. Yes, the FFC is still good and you can see yourself, but the back camera is far superior in terms of the amount of light that the camera can take in. More light/less noise.As far as editing, I would not use YouTube's stitch software. I'd use something more powerful like Adobe Premiere. Messing with color corrections/filters and other color effects can also reduce the amount of noise in your videos.

If you want to see video quality for reference, the Christmas vlog on my channel was shot with the iP7+

I have an asus and sometimes the videos from my phone won't open so I mostly use Imovie to edit directly on my phone. Do you believe it's a good app, I mean I know it's nothing like adobe but still I think it does it's job. Or maybe it's ruining the quality of the video?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don´t use my phone, I usually use a camera, but for some reason my vids get cut off, because of the memory card can´t be read (while filming!)

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have an asus and sometimes the videos from my phone won't open so I mostly use Imovie to edit directly on my phone. Do you believe it's a good app, I mean I know it's nothing like adobe but still I think it does it's job. Or maybe it's ruining the quality of the video?
iMovie is a good application. You still have color correction control. Not as powerful as Premiere of course, but it's still good. I used iMovie for a long time before switching to Premiere. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Andreea