Filming with your phone?

Andreea

Reaction score
So I curently film with my Iphone 6 untill I can afford something professional(let's pray it happens fast). So my question is do you have any tips on how to improve the quality when you are filming with a phone? (like lighting, editing etc)

Reactions: alexoah

Zesty

Zesty Person!/Rainbow Six Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd suggest using this tool Google gives it's creators on filming with your phone :)
https creatoracademy youtube.com/page/lesson/production-mobile?utm_source=YouTube&utm_medium=yoda_news&utm_campaign=production-mobile-Feb2016#yt-creators-strategies-1

Ad :// to https and a . after creatoracademy

Reactions: alexoah and Andreea

MintApocalypse

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, I suggest treating your phone camera just like you would any other camera, finding it a stable place to sit whether it be a tripod for phones or just a nice solid place to prop it up (unless you're going to walk around vlogging with it). Utilize outside light and also lamps you might have around your house and just play with them until it looks good. Sound is actually fairly decent on an iphone unless you're in a windy place so that should be ok, and video quality wise iphones are pretty good too. Also don't film vertically ;)

I prefer to edit on a computer, so you can always plug it in and drag the files off of it. But if you want to edit on your phone their are options for that too, you'll just have to look for them

Reactions: alexoah and Andreea

JayPlays

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i use my phone too, its not a crappy nokia with a 1 megapixel camera haha, it records in 720p and is pretty decent, kinda gotta use what you have i suppose, saves ya budget haha

Reactions: alexoah

Cvolton

I've Got It
Reaction score
Lightning is the main thing you should focus on, because phones tend to have poor low-light performance (even though it's getting better), either record in daylight, or some people recommend using at least 5000K light bulbs, when you're recording in the evening for example

Reactions: alexoah and Brandon

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
As Cvolton says above, lighting is important.

You'll get OK footage from an iPhone 6 if you have decent lighting. If you cannot afford to buy lighting at the moment, record during the daytime so that you take advantage of natrual light.

Be aware, however, that clouds and bad weather can ruin your video during the day; especially if you stay in a country which doesn't get a lot of sunshine (I live in Scotland so I know what I'm talking about !).

Another issue is audio quality. I highly recommend recording audio separately using a good mic. For example, a lav microphone, an audio recorder, or a dynamic mic like the Audio Technica ATR2100 (that offers good quality at an extremely low price).

Make use of a tripod where possible too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nord

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As Caseyneistat said, filming movies is about how good of a story you can tell, not the quality of the camera. Having a good quality camera will improve your projects, but it's not nearly as important as other things.

hatlesschimp

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
All my videos are done with my phone (note 7) but had to hand it back and now Im thinking of going the Canon 80d.
I used to have a sony a7s and rig but it got stolen and never reinvested.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Ky Lives

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Use natural sunlight to get the highest quality. Artificial light is not bright enough for shooting on small image sensors unless you've got studio lighting.