File Size Basics

Bosco

MLG Player | aoX | UnDefined | ReBirth |
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
Okay, i just read the post about people's average file size and just wanted to help you out.

To give you an idea of what size my files are here is a short list

low quality/ standard - 10mb
HD - 80mb

Now to obtain these results you need to do a few things depending on what types of videos you make.

For example, people using a camera need to make sue their settings in the editing program correctly match their camera's settings. Why you might ask? In Final Cut Pro you can drag any movie file and it will change your composition to match the settings, so why should i easte time changing the settings?

well what these programs don't tell you is that it actually takes space / file size to keep the original footage to match your composition settings. So your 20mb source video, now turns to almost triple that. Note, this dosent always happen but its better to be safe then stuck uploading.

Also, utilizing compressor based applications that take out not needed excess space to allow for smaller files. I use the application that comes with the Final Cut Studio called Compressor. This makes many big files, much much smaller.

Take different setting tests.

Setting the settings to "best" is always best. Sometime the difference between best and good on quicktime movie settings dosent really change the video output, but makes the size huge. Well, you might say, oh well i dont want worse quality. But you might like to know that a bigger size file makes for a longer load, so people with slower connections wint even give your video the time of day.

Lastly, ALL videos have audio, even if it isnt audible. What this means is that, if you have no audio, but you xport with the best audio settings, you end up with a bigger size. Now a program such as compressor notices this excess space and will take it out, but it still might leave some.

Hope these tips will help you make your files smaller and remember

video quality > smaller file size, dont sacrifice quality for a faster upload!

thanks,
The RatedPro Team

Bosco

MLG Player | aoX | UnDefined | ReBirth |
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
Thanks for the info! :)
no problem hope this helps people who want to focus on their content and not on worrying about uplaod times taking from their schedules ;)

JD´s World

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Great post! Good information!

Jonathan

Reactions: RatedPro