Few copyright questions?

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I could never get a proper answer with anyone so hope this site helps with the answers.

I'm passionate about music, a lot of the bands/artists are not well known in the Uk, I'd like to be able to discuss them in future videos with maybe clips of music videos but unsure on how and if i could monetize.

Another series planned is where I talk movies/tv series but would ideally like to be able to use footage(i can do it without sound if that helps)
This also needs answering for stuff like a top10 list

And finally game footage, the games I'm looking at using are over 20yrs old so struggling to find anything on Terms of service(I think activitison bought the rights in 2014 but not done anything since), any ideas?

BettinaStaana

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
That's actually a great question, I'm also curious to know if taking clips or segments from a TV show, series, etc. and talking about it would go against any copyright claims. Maybe there's a time limit?

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's actually a great question, I'm also curious to know if taking clips or segments from a TV show, series, etc. and talking about it would go against any copyright claims. Maybe there's a time limit?
I hope its a time limit on the tv/movie and music video stuff. I used about 30 secs of the Red dead 2 trailer for a weekly news video i did and got a copyright, so re-edited to remove it but saw loads of people doing the same thing but keeping it and still monetizing

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I could never get a proper answer with anyone so hope this site helps with the answers.

I'm passionate about music, a lot of the bands/artists are not well known in the Uk, I'd like to be able to discuss them in future videos with maybe clips of music videos but unsure on how and if i could monetize.

Another series planned is where I talk movies/tv series but would ideally like to be able to use footage(i can do it without sound if that helps)
This also needs answering for stuff like a top10 list

And finally game footage, the games I'm looking at using are over 20yrs old so struggling to find anything on Terms of service(I think activitison bought the rights in 2014 but not done anything since), any ideas?
The music, TV, and movie answers are all the same... if you don't have or purchase the necessary rights needed, you should expect either a 3rd party claim (typically means that the owner will monetize your video on their behalf and possibly block your video in certain countries) or a full blown copyright strike. It doesn't matter if you use 10 seconds or 10 minutes or use video footage without sound.

Video games are a slightly different category and each game developer has their own set of rules of what they do or don't allow. A quick google search for ""Let's Play"-friendly developers" should land you multiple websites devoted to listing what each company permits. That said, it would also be wise to double check on any developer website to confirm that nothing has changed. Historically, game music and cut scenes often give the biggest problems and should be removed as well.

Reactions: subversiveasset

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The music, TV, and movie answers are all the same... if you don't have or purchase the necessary rights needed, you should expect either a 3rd party claim (typically means that the owner will monetize your video on their behalf and possibly block your video in certain countries) or a full blown copyright strike. It doesn't matter if you use 10 seconds or 10 minutes or use video footage without sound.

Video games are a slightly different category and each game developer has their own set of rules of what they do or don't allow. A quick google search for ""Let's Play"-friendly developers" should land you multiple websites devoted to listing what each company permits. That said, it would also be wise to double check on any developer website to confirm that nothing has changed. Historically, game music and cut scenes often give the biggest problems and should be removed as well.
Thanks for the info, will have a look. How do so many youtubers get away with using so much footage like music videos,tv, movies, are there particular sites to use where you can try and get permission. I don't plan on monetizing til i get 1000 views or is it subs

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
How do so many youtubers get away with using so much footage like music videos,tv, movies, are there particular sites to use where you can try and get permission.
How do you know they're getting away with it? The vast majority have been caught by Content ID, have 3rd party claims and are monetized by the proper owners. After that, it could be sheer luck that they've yet to be found, but they eventually will be and copyright strikes are no joke.

If it's a tv show, feature film, or sports, there's virtually no chance of acquiring the necessary licenses. For music, there are a few sites that licence popular music (at affordable rates) and, for lesser known works, you can always contact the source.

Also note that, for any blatant copyrighted material that you find, there are likely countless others who have been removed.

Reactions: subversiveasset

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
man that really sucks, so many false claims out there saying you can get away with by fair use or some similar term, definitely will make it harder for certain videos i wanna do as im sure people wouldnt wanna see me through the entire video.
Had youtube a while and uploaded a couple videos in the past, two of which are still on there which use a music track, neither monetized, just has copyright claim, no eligible for monetization and includes copyrighted content, are these copyright strikes or are these okay to keep?
I also have a Third eye blind video of them live, i recorded, thats been up for a year now without any issues. Also my most viewed video is Alicia Silverstone interview on an old Channel 4 program in the Uk that was on a VHS tape

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If you have a content ID match (where it says "includes copyrighted material" and is not eligible for monetization), this is not a copyright strike. What happens with that sort of content ID match is that the video is monetized for the content ID claimant.

You'll know if you get a copyright strike, because they'll take the video down.

Reactions: Drewbles