Feel under pressure...

Mirko

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi everyone,

So my YouTube channel has been doing amazing for a small sized channel like mine! But lately I've been feeling anxious because I've gained a larger audience.

I've actually cancelled so many ideas and video plans due to the fact that they might not be as good quality for my audience! I suffer with anxiety and I'm really concerned of killing my channel. Maybe that's why I am so careful with what I upload. Thanks for reading! :)

Reactions: evnanonymous

Jeff

Hey There!
Reaction score
I've gotten the same feeling in the past. Earlier this year, I had a video idea on how to download YouTube videos in the highest quality (since most downloader websites restrict downloads to 720p)... and I recorded the tutorial, spent a long time editing it, and set it to private for a few days for review. Then, I was hesitant to upload it since I didn't like some things in the video, so I deleted it.

However, I realized that maybe it'd be good to give it a go and uploaded the video (life is short, eh?), made it public, etc... and now it's one of the most well-preforming videos on my channel (at least in my eyes).

Just never have to be afraid. That's what YouTube is: Broadcast Yourself. :)

Mirko

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've gotten the same feeling in the past. Earlier this year, I had a video idea on how to download YouTube videos in the highest quality (since most downloader websites restrict downloads to 720p)... and I recorded the tutorial, spent a long time editing it, and set it to private for a few days for review. Then, I was hesitant to upload it since I didn't like some things in the video, so I deleted it.

However, I realized that maybe it'd be good to give it a go and uploaded the video (life is short, eh?), made it public, etc... and now it's one of the most well-preforming videos on my channel (at least in my eyes).

Just never have to be afraid. That's what YouTube is: Broadcast Yourself. :)
Wow that has put a different view on things, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has felt like this before. That is true life is short, I guess I'm paranoid more than anything as I've worked hard to build an audience. Thanks for the help! :)

Reactions: Jeff

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the Strategies / Technique Advice forum. ^_^ The YTtalk help forum is for forum-specific help instead of YouTube help. :)

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
If you think about it, if your channel is growing it means you are doing something right. No need to look for perfection. Don't let that affect your uploading consistency.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I've actually cancelled so many ideas and video plans due to the fact that they might not be as good quality for my audience! I suffer with anxiety and I'm really concerned of killing my channel. Maybe that's why I am so careful with what I upload. Thanks for reading! :)
Me too! Not a bad idea. Too much trash gets uploaded I figure I don't wanna add to it lol. I've scrapped not just ideas but completed edited videos as I just didn't think they were important enough to show any1. You don't need to upload all the time and scrapping some bad ideas just shows you have standards to uphold. I think this is a positive. Try making evergreen content. Learn to value your time! Ask yourself whats in it for you. And maybe just make some thing that you think is either important to you or valuable to the viewer. I literally can't be bothered atm because I don't think I'm getting anything out of it.. and last uploaded 1st Jan but still climbing views and subs. I think I'll stay on strike until I hit 1k subs actually. I think the goal is to try not to let Youtube become a chore for you. It helps if your an ignorant old git like me.

Mirko

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Me too! Not a bad idea. Too much trash gets uploaded I figure I don't wanna add to it lol. I've scrapped not just ideas but completed edited videos as I just didn't think they were important enough to show any1. You don't need to upload all the time and scrapping some bad ideas just shows you have standards to uphold. I think this is a positive. Try making evergreen content. Learn to value your time! Ask yourself whats in it for you. And maybe just make some thing that you think is either important to you or valuable to the viewer. I literally can't be bothered atm because I don't think I'm getting anything out of it.. and last uploaded 1st Jan but still climbing views and subs. I think I'll stay on strike until I hit 1k subs actually. I think the goal is to try not to let Youtube become a chore for you. It helps if your an ignorant old git like me.
Thanks for the advice there, and yes you are right I have a high bar set for each video and maybe I put a bit too much pressure on myself! Good luck with that 1k sub goal! :)

Mirko

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you think about it, if your channel is growing it means you are doing something right. No need to look for perfection. Don't let that affect your uploading consistency.
Thanks for the advice, that is true! :)

evnanonymous

Reaction score
i think what you feel is a natural reaction based on your progression

i also think its important to keep in mind what got you to where you are now: your subscriber base mightve increased, and your views too, but the content youve already uploaded is what lead to that

in my opinion, its important to remember how you managed to accomplish what you have, in order to move forward

to create new content, look to your old videos as a guideline

regardless, the fact of the matter is, ultimately you know what works and doesnt without scrutinizing every detail - we all do, i believe

you know if your content is good enough, or if it isnt

at the heart of it all, we need to ask ourselves: would i watch this? do i personally think this is good enough?

if the answer is yes, even though the video might not be perfect, or even far from it, you should publish it

just some thoughts my friend :)

Reactions: Mirko and zerocache

zerocache

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can be your own worst judge and anxiety is not always or necessarily your worst enemy. I should know, as I struggle with an acute form of GAD.

There's a lot of good advice here that are on point and should follow.

I just started YT myself, so I'm not an expert, but because I am self employed, second guessing myself is part of the job. I can tell you I suffer the worst bout of anxiety, to the point that I can dig an imaginary trench in the floor from the non stop pacing I do throughout the day until I get a reaction to quotes for the work rather than the resulting work itself. Ironic isn't it?

Why is that? Because the resulting work needs to be created and resulting success or lack of is the only way I can actually DO my work RIGHT. As for the cost everyones pocket and perception of cost varies greatly. So it's a hurdle to deal with new clients hence the anxiety.

So, the point is, how are you going to know for certain if your audience is going to be receptive or not to something slightly or completely different if you don't at least try?