Feel Like I Know the Audience, But People Can't Find Me

Simon's Lair

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hello Everyone!

I run a bearded dragon sketch comedy show called Simon's Lair. When someone tries to find me on YouTube or via google, even though I put in specific/popular tags, people still don't seem to see my content. I put a ton of work into this show including work on the backend with SEO. I've been on YouTube since August and stuck at my subscriber count from the first week of launching. I have an Instagram account that took months to build and only a super small percentage of the followers actually watch the show, I post in reptile forums as I care a lot about the animals as well, and reach out to other communities to share, but I just don't seem to be viewable to people online. It's frustrating to not even show up when people search for funny reptiles, bearded dragons, etc. and videos with 2-3 views do show up. I feel like I'm at a wall. Any advice or support is appreciated, thanks!

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello Everyone!

I run a bearded dragon sketch comedy show called Simon's Lair. When someone tries to find me on YouTube or via google, even though I put in specific/popular tags, people still don't seem to see my content. I put a ton of work into this show including work on the backend with SEO. I've been on YouTube since August and stuck at my subscriber count from the first week of launching. I have an Instagram account that took months to build and only a super small percentage of the followers actually watch the show, I post in reptile forums as I care a lot about the animals as well, and reach out to other communities to share, but I just don't seem to be viewable to people online. It's frustrating to not even show up when people search for funny reptiles, bearded dragons, etc. and videos with 2-3 views do show up. I feel like I'm at a wall. Any advice or support is appreciated, thanks!
You have heaps of views for your first few videos so you are on the right track.

it would help to have more descriptions, like a more fleshed out "about" section and more info in your videos about section. The first 20 or so lines go towards being searchable words.

As you are just starting out, it might help to add some more info in your title.
Simon's Lair is great for a bigger channel, but doesnt mean anything.
perhaps Simon's Lair (Raising a bearded dragon) or something along those lines.

my channel used to be "ocean chan" but now its "ocean chan freediving" so it gets grouped with my niche on youtube searches and google, and people immediately know what my channel is about.

its those little things that might help with exposure, let me know how it goes! all the best

Reactions: Simon's Lair

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You've been on YouTube for only a month and you already say you've hit the wall? :eeks:

You have to do this a lot longer and be more patient. No one who isn't already famous gets big in a month, unless it's some freak viral video. Concentrate on what you control: the craft. Make the best videos you can make. Share them. Get your name out there any way you can. But geez, give it some time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

tonyphan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Working with SEO, you have to know that it's a long term process, not over a night and your video becomes popular (still possible, but very rare). The youtube algorithm will analyze your video and then decide if it is qualified to be promoted in other places (home page, suggested page...etc). In order to analyze that, it needs data and one month is too little for it to analyze. You gotta prove to Youtube that you are worth for them to show your videos to others. How to do that? You do it by consistency, in every video you upload. Stick to a schedule, don't miss your schedule, description, SEO, tag should be taken care of, in every video. After a while, your video will be shown widely. Youtube is a long-term run.

Simon's Lair

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Thanks to both of you! I will keep it at it. I've never done YouTube before and spent half a year preparing to launch, I think that's why I felt a bit discouraged. I will make sure to do a more thorough analysis in a few months and see what changes.

Reactions: babyteeth4

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
If your watch time isn't high enough it won't get promoted as much despite the tagging. These videos are too short even if they get 100% viewed based on the initial view count due to having a low audience.

The videos are weird and I don't know what it's supposed to be. It could keep people watching or turn them away.

Simon's Lair

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
We are putting out longer episodes in the near future so maybe that will help. The goal is to have episodes that run 5 - 10 minutes. The videos being put out now do have a range in entertainment style and we are looking to pick a direction after getting feedback for the first few months. It is a specific type of humor right now. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

Jakes Aquatic Addiction

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
try pushing for longer videos :) watch time is important! iv just took a look at your video and for some reason although it creeped me right out and not my cup of tea, i could not stop watching xD

Simon's Lair

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
We are doing an October series special with the longer format so hopefully that will help. We are also focusing on world building as well. The goal is that even if you don't like the videos, at least the content has a consistent quality and style to keep someone watching. Thanks for the feedback! Honesty is truly appreciated.