Feedback request before hiatus

Rowan Oakley

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi everyone,

First of all, a message to our mods here: I've taken a look around, and I'm pretty sure it's okay to ask the question in this post. If I'm wrong, please accept my apologies and just delete it. I've got ideas I can get on with, I'm just looking for other peoples' opinions.

Edit: final note about this: I can see from the guidelines that my thread could either be declined because I'm essentially saying, "Check out my channel and tell me what I can improve." Or it could be approved because I'm also asking for, 2-3 aspects of my channel as a whole that I want reviewing. There seems to be a lot of cross-over between these two concepts. My intention is to push for the latter.

H'okay. I've been uploading videos since summer 2016. I'd never appeared on camera before, I had minimal equipment (think: cheapo camera that records 5 mins max of video, is temperamental with focus, and guzzles battery energy like the guy on Man v Food; natural sunlight as only lighting, very little space suitable for recording, opensource editing software only), and I haven't had a day of training in public presentation, acting, face painting, marketing, or voice coaching in my life.

All of which means that I think my videos are a bit flat and scruffy, despite my best efforts. I think I know what I can do to improve things, but I want to take a hiatus while I put these things right and re-make most of my videos.

Before I make a start on all of that, please can anyone take a quick look at one or two of my videos and let me know if there's anything obvious you think I need to work on?

One thing that I might be obsessing about unnecessarily is that I want these videos to be good for adults to listen to while also being within YT's acceptable uploads policy. I know I come off as very 'safe' and 'nice', but is it coming across as too much like childrens' storytelling? If so, what do you think I can do to fix that?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The thread is fine but I've moved your thread to the review / feedback forum. :)

For future reference: - Please note that the review forum is the only forum where active YTtalk members can ask for feedback on their videos and channel (including artwork) at the rate of no more than 1 request per week. We like to keep this sort of thread out of the main forums. :) If the review request complies with the review forum rules (at the top of the review forum), then they get approved by a member of staff.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: Rowan Oakley

CountingStars

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hiya Rowan Oakley
I went through your channel and i would first like to say i loved your vlog on triggered jokes. I also like what youre doing, that is, reading stories because i feel like you have such a calming voice. Though i didnt like your channel design as in your thumbnails (i feel that it isn't attracting my attention) but really love your banner and image icon. I'm not sure why you have a painted on mask >.< or is that a tattoo, im sorry for my ignorance but im not sure why you have it D:< maybe theres a video you can point out to me to let me know why D: and i'd find more appreciation in it :3

And i'd like to say im very pleased to meet you

Rowan Oakley

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi Counting!

"...I loved your vlog on triggered jokes." Fantastic! Thank you, and delving more into showing my values on things is an integral part of my future plans. That was the first I did doing that. Glad it hit the spot!

"I also like what youre doing, that is, reading stories because i feel like you have such a calming voice." Awesome, thanks!

"Though i didnt like your channel design as in your thumbnails (i feel that it isn't attracting my attention)" That's fine - I agree, and my thumbnails are one of the things I'm going to alter.

"...but really love your banner and image icon." I'll pass on your compliments to the artist.

"I'm not sure why you have a painted on mask" To mask my identity. I've got coloured contact lenses in, too.

"im sorry for my ignorance but im not sure why you have it D:< maybe theres a video you can point out to me to let me know why D: and i'd find more appreciation in it :3" Oh - sure! Sure, I can make plans to do that!

"And i'd like to say im very pleased to meet you" And you too! Thank you very much for your time!

Reactions: CountingStars