Feedback on my first video

SacredSpace

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello everyone, I just posted my first video today and well, to be honest I don’t master the art of Youtube but I hope it will come with time and experience.

But I would love to get some feedbacks about my first video, to see what I need to change or do better (it can be the video but also the thumbnail and the title)

ShadowSneakSirs

Reaction score
Since nobody replied to you, I'll try to answer your questions. :)
Before I get started, I just want to tell you that EVERYTHING I say is meant in a constructive way, and I ain't hating you whatsoever.

So first of all you should really turn the sound up, it's pretty hard to understand you.
Next, you might want to consider opting for scripted videos instead of free speaking, as a beginner a script might really help and make you feel more secure.
Also try to improve on the really obvious errors you make while speaking: ''animal agriculture consumes'' and not consum..?
You make quite a lot of plural form- and other mistakes, which wouldn't be terrible if you were talking about sth. less serious than fast fashion or things that might improve the world, but it takes quite a lot of the serious side away from your videos.

Please do cut some mistakes (mostly speaking mistakes) out. Same thing for the aehms... and mhmms... it is pretty hard to follow you on a rather serious subject like fast fashion if you say sth wrong, then look confused into the camera and then place a cut after the mistake, instead of cutting it out in the first place.

About the thumbnail: it's okay. Maybe you should try opting for a less big and red font and put the atomic danger thing aside. it would look much better to me.

I won't argue with you about your opinions and what you say, nevertheless in your second video your first tip to ''improve'' the world is being vegan...?
I don't think vegan or people that eat vegan are bad and it certainly has its good moments but have you tried to rise a child with vegan food?
I don't know if you read about this, but it'll die!
But you don't talk about this at all just about how much it'll help animals (which is absolutely right).
But if you talk about such things you have to talk about both sides and not just about one side because it suits your argument in that point of time.
If you talk about those things, you need to be less subjective and more objective!

Nevertheless it's good to see that some people are engaged to do sth about what's happening even if it's just a little.
See ya!

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi There,
I have looked at your video several times. (Actually, I downloaded it so my views won't show on YT) I have pondered a while before deciding to reply. Your other reviewer has given you a very good report that I agree with on most points so I will try to avoid going over those points again. Like your first reviewer, I am not trying to put you down but will try to give you some points that might help and encourage on your next efforts.

I agree that the sound is a little quiet although I turned the volume up at this end when viewing - even so, I found it just a little difficult to fully understand what you are saying a lot of the time. Maybe this is partially due to you being in a room with quite a bit of echo. Try another location with more sound-absorbing materials like curtaining, carpets etc. It’s difficult to be precise about this sort of thing so do experiment.

I think for a first video you have tried to tackle a very serious subject and technically it could be a little better. For a first video it’s a very long piece and in some ways much too long to retain the viewer's interest on the same talking head. Try some shorter videos for a while. It’s been suggested that a script of what you intend to say would be a great help as you seemed to ramble on somewhat. However, having a script does pose problems of its own. I note in the video you have many what are called ‘jump cuts’ where you have cut out poor bits of your chat and so the joins show as a sudden jump. Try to avoid this if possible but I know it’s not so easy. Your other kind reviewer mentions your ‘aehms... and mhmms...’ when speaking. By preparing a basic script and practising, this will assist in avoiding these habits.

Well done on using a few inserts of appropriate stills to illustrate the story and a lot more of this sort of things would break the constant full-face view of you chatting. Let's talk about the use of a prepared script. Naturally, you can’t just read from a script in your hand. Try preparing a script, not with every word, but paragraphs with ‘bullet points’ of the important bits. After a few tries, you would be able to just about memorise a particular sequence of short sentences. Plan out these sequences to cover the story you want to tell. Do try this for yourself. You may record several ‘takes’ of a sequence and then choose the best for the final version. Between each recorded sequence in your story – have a break – then put an appropriate still, or even a short video clip. Do a new sequence every now and again then assemble them to your final film.

It’s noted that you are using a plain background. A wall in your home I suppose? Your background location might be more attractive if you recorded the video in a living room with all the usual pictures and curtains etc. (This might also improve the sound as the echo is absorbed in the furnishings). It would appear that you are sitting at a table and noticed that at times you looked down at a book or similar. If you wish to look at a book to illustrate a point, then bring the book well into view so that we know what you are looking at and talking about. You could also use close-ups of the open book as inserts if there are illustrations. Try varying your position at the table by turning a little sideways rather than the square on all the time. The composition of you in the frame could be improved a little, either at the recording stage or in the editing. The general rule is to try to get the eyes at about the ‘thirds’. See my attached pic rather than words to illustrate.

Although you have used what I will call a ‘Poster Frame’ for YT, I always like a specific introduction with a title section and perhaps a short piece of appropriate background music. I have attached a dummy idea pic for your interest.

Well, I’ve rambled on rather a lot but I hope it will be useful to you. Don’t forget to acknowledge these reviews so that we know you have read them.

Best of luck with your future productions. Pete

Attachments

Steves World

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
My first thought is you need a mic of some type, If you don't have the $$ For a Rode I really like this set up for the Zoom H1n:

I also like the Thumbnail Magic Pete made with YOU IN IT better, although I am personally almost never in my thumbnails.
But who want's to see an old man like me!
Best of luck to you.
Steve