Feedback for my tutorial video

Life of a Film maker

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hey wassup guys, I recently made a tutorial on how to make a smoothie for weight loss while being on a weight loss journey. Would appreciate some feedback of the video on how I did! Thanks

Reactions: CristyTango

SandMan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi there.

Please do remember I am not here to diss you this is truly constructive criticism from my point of view. I am but only one person and my liking might not fit your target audience. You should always make videos you want to make and not what others say. I will from my point of view tell you what I liked and disliked and what I feel like you should work on but that does not mean I am the king of creating content.

With that said I want to hit on Four key points for this video...

Keypoint 1
We learn almost half way through that you are adding tide pods to your ingredients, so at the end when you start getting some sort of attack it was not funny because the audience knew the cause, it was predictable how the rest of the video would play out. Also I was a bit frustrated because I invested some time in a video to learn something only to found out it was a meme video.

Here is how I would have executed the joke. First I would have started with a much quicker summary followed with getting the ingredients out on the table. "Hi there. Today I am showing you a smoothie that 100% guarantees weight loss. Here is the ingredients". The ingredients should start off normal and become ridiculous to catch your audience by suprise but don't reveal the tide pods yet. "Blueberries for your Vitamine B's, Lemon for the C's, Grass for electrolytes, Stones for Rock sharp teeth" While you started adding the ingredients to the blender you then give the reasons which you did in the beginning like weight loss journey or you would like to help others but by this point it is ridiculous to assume you would gain anything. You taste the smoothie get your attack and then pan the camera over to the ingredients only to find that you accidentally added tide pods to the mixture end it with a "Don't do pods, go to school" or some quote.

In this version, you grab the attention of the audience early on with the weird ingredients. The joke stays funny through out because you are serious about losing weight and then the punch line is not that you got an attack by the ingredients you added but because you accidentally added a tide pod. The joke is then eased out with the quote at the end. If you want to introduce the tide pods in some other way you could mention that you are trying a secret ingredient for the first time. Then when you pan out there is a tide pod package labeled with secret ingredient. This will add some foreshadowing.

Keypoint 2
The tide pod meme trend also was halfway to its death bed by end of January but take this with a grain of salt because I am not precisely sure if it was. Just as a rule of thumb if you do post a video about a meme that is trending, make sure that the world is not sick of it already or it is not dying... that it is still fresh and popular.

Keypoint 3
The lighting in your video is horrible. Please do some research on lighting your videos better. Peter Mckinnon gives a nice DIY video on lighting and also I would advise to do further research such as understanding three point lighting and what combination of lighting creates which moods for the type video you are creating.

P.S A lot of people are scared of lighting but if you sit down and make a effort to understand it you will find that it is really not that hard.

Keypoint 4
Plan your camera angles. There was so much going on in your scenes. Take a look at precisely 1:00. I can see your cupboard up top, the floor and cupboard at the bottom, your microwave, fry machine and other appliances. All information that is pointless and crowds up the video. The focus is on the ingredients. Rather get a table even if you carry it from a room to another then try and do a top down camera angle. Add props that will convey needed information. "A cutting board to work with the ingredients, a blender because well you will blend things and a knife for chopping the ingredients" even if you don't show how you use it the audience would know that "hey the lemon was cut in half he probably used the knife and cutting board that is in this frame" these are just examples. This will keep your audiences focus on the ingredients and not everything else.

I can commend that I did not really get bored with the video, I found your personality great and energetic. The more energy (Depending on the type of video) the more attraction flows into your channel. The sound was great as well. The post editing was good as well.

Tips:
Keep the frame clean: Rinkled T-shirt, unwashed dishes those are a no no. If I shoot in my room. I point the camera away from the bed and just clean my desk. It looks neat and not distracting.

Never look at the display. It is only there to get the frame in place like making sure half of your head is not chopped off. Always look at the lens and give a quick glans to the display every now and then.

The smoothie you blended was green but when you took a sip of it it was brown. I know it was to swap out the tide pod smoothie with a proper one but rather remove the tide pod before you blend or make two blends with the same ingredients but one without the tide pod. This would have prevented the flaw.

That is it on the video, most of these tips can be carried over to other videos like lighting and camera angles. The more you plan the video the easier and faster it will become to create unique and creative content. Always research on techniques and stay up to date. As a content creator and almost any other profession you need to keep learning to stay relevant otherwise before you know it, you are creating 2018 content in 2040.

Best of luck friend.

buzzcuts

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Okay, so not really my type of humour but still..I liked it.

I actually didn't have any issues with the pacing or order/flow, edit, camera, etc. Could have been cut a bit tighter and overall been shorter, I think, but I appreciate the dry humour and weirdness.