I agree, adding CC takes up good amount of time.

I did some research on this while adding CC to my videos. Here were my findings so far:
  • 100% accuracy is definitely not possible, as of today.
  • 2-3 services which I tried weren't anywhere close to acceptable range.
  • YouTube's automatic CC were quite good (~70% accuracy)
Manual intervention is definitely needed. The first method I tried was transcribing fully myself. I play my video locally in Windows Media Player at 1/2 speed and type-in the sentences myself in say Notepad. The result is accurate. But its the most stressful and tiresome task I've done, with playing back again sometimes to catch up with voice speed, punctuation, spelling mistakes, capitalization, etc

Now comes the final option which I follow which is acceptable w.r.t. amount of time spent - Reusing YouTube Automatic CC

1. I download the subtitles for each video from its settings
  2. Use NotePad++ to strip down all timings and extra lines to create one big paragraph.
  3. Run the video in Windows Media Player and correct the mistakes - spelling, punctuation, caps.
  4. I upload this txt file to CC
I agree this is little time consuming, but its the best I've found so far.

Let me know if you guys have any comments on improving it.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to refresh this post to find out if someone had figured a fasted way to transcribe the audio of a video to make closed captions? I'm currently working on a longer documentary-style video and would need to add CCs but doing it manually takes so much time...

Thanks in advance!

If I talk at a decent pace and there is not a lot of background noise, then YouTube's automatic subtitles are pretty darn close. I just have to go in and fix some punctuation and capitalization.

Other times, it's a painful experience, lol.

Rev.com offers caption service for only $1 per minute, which, depending on how big you are or how much money you have, might be a fantastic deal...

Thanks a lot for the tips! Given the amount of content, I may give something like Rev.com a shot (I'd rather focus on the actual editing).
Have you/ has anyone tried it? I also looked at fiverr.com where freelancers apparently do it for $5 for 20min.
I'm still gonna look for a software solution, would be so cool if that could be automated!

Thanks for the info, I'll follow your tips for now and will continue to look for something more automated (will keep you posted!).
@laurenelloise: Out of curiosity, what are the main benefits you've observed from adding CCs to your content?

I just drop the script text in after I upload. That's the easiest way for me! No one else does this?

Back