Family friendly

No one has answered, because no one knows. YouTube purposefully uses vague, generalized terms to allow themselves leeway when it comes to making decisions about what is and isn't acceptable. They say things like "excessive profanity" isn't allowed. Well, what does that mean? Who judges what is and isn't "excessive?" Does that mean just one swear word, if it's the F-bomb? Does that mean 4 swear words if it's something more benign? Who's to say?

Same goes for violence. What's "excessive?" Does a Let's Play video of a first person shooter video game count as "excessive violence" when 20 people were shot on-screen in a bloody massacre? Who's to say. YouTube's lawyers purposefully wrote the rules to be as vague as possible to allow the company the most flexibility of using their ban hammer.

As for content "like Duck Dynasty" being okay? Again, who's to say. The real Duck Dynasty had most of their advertisers pull out of their show in real life, not even on YouTube. So, there's that...

I completely agree with you, and that is my point. Why even discuss something that has no definition. I have seen many, many post on here where one person is instructing the other person to, "Make sure there content does not contain anything that is Potentially Offensive." I have been told this by several people myself. But when the question is posed as to what they mean when they give this advice, all you hear is crickets chirping in the dead silence.
People on here offer advice and even are critical of other people's channels and content, but have no earthly clue what this term even means.

What is "Potentially Offensive" or "Advertiser Friendly"? Nobody has the first clue. At the end of the day It comes down to personal taste. For example, Duck Dynasty was one of the Top rated Family shows for a while, but yet some advertisers pulled their ads. But you know what; I bet companies like Cabelas and Bass Pro did not pull their ads! I bet outdoor sports companies were fighting over ad space on Duck Dynasty.

And here is where I don't where the problem is coming from on this whole youtube boycott issue. There are many different types of ads, targeting different audiences. There are video game ads targeting video gamers and this companies have no problem with their ads running on gaming videos. There are outdoor sports companies that would have no problem with the ads running on outdoor sports videos. So on and so forth.

So real question is, why is there are problem here? Why, if the target is to prevent ads from running on Muslim Jihadist violent videos, are all these other legitimate types of video content getting caught in that net? Unless, there is another agenda here to squash freedom of expression and push people's own personal agenda down youtube creators throats.

Bottom line, if we are not careful and demand rational definitions and clarity from youtbe, it will become a place where only Japanese Oprea and Fluffy Bunny videos is allowed.

So real question is, why is there are problem here? Why, if the target is to prevent ads from running on Muslim Jihadist violent videos, are all these other legitimate types of video content getting caught in that net? Unless, there is another agenda here to squash freedom of expression and push people's own personal agenda down YouTube creators throats.

Bottom line, if we are not careful and demand rational definitions and clarity from YouTube, it will become a place where only Japanese Oprea and Fluffy Bunny videos is allowed.

Sometimes i believe in some sort of conspiracy theories. However, I don't think YouTube, as a big company, try to swap their economical interests by going into ventures of political agendas in a time where the world is still facing the financial crisis unless the company doesn't mine to lose a big portion of its content creators noting that many video companies entered the line of competition.

Sometimes i believe in some sort of conspiracy theories. However, I don't think YouTube, as a big company, try to swap their economical interests by going into ventures of political agendas in a time where the world is still facing the financial crisis unless the company doesn't mine to lose a big portion of its content creators noting that many video companies entered the line of competition.
I was not suggesting that youtube was behind this. Youtube is just caring for the cash cow and forgetting to care for the grass (creator content) that feeds the cow.

I believe it is the ad companies that have a greater agenda then what they are letting on here. I know of several other examples in the last few months where big companies have used their power and money to bully others to cave to their political agendas. Even States! Take the state of North Carolina, where Bank of America, PayPal and the NCAA (and others) are threatening the State with econmic santctions to get them to change laws.

There is a huge problem here. These mammoth companies are pushing their weight around at every turn. And just like the youtube creators have been overlooked and forgot in this whole boycott, the people of the North Carolina, who the State government was elected to represent, will most likely be overruled and forgotten in favor of pleasing these big companies. The more these big companies are successful at subjugating other companies and governments to their will, the bolder and more demanding they will become, until it will not matter what they law or the consitution says anymore. We will end up servants of the corporate whim.

Last edited:
Pewdiepie said that by putting family friendly as a tag he earns 5 times more with this video than the other ones.

Can someone try it to know if it's was a coincidence ?
From what I've heard, youtube is not looking at tags as much as it did before. So change video name to match title, adding title in description and in tags is not that important today, because everyone is doing it now. What I heard it is that you should use keywords in your video more.

YouTube now can listen to what you are saying, that how it translates subtitles into different language. So if you add family friendly to your video it will almost completely useless if you wont say those words in the video.

If you want to rank high for your keywords make sure you use them in your video as much as possible but don't just spam them, use similiar tactics like writing a good article that is seo friendly

Back