Facecam...necessary or depends?

Webcam Important

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • no

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • depends on game. If so comment what types of games.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Triple Res

YouTube Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi! me and a friend post/stream on youtube and we are debating if a webcam is important or not just gonna put a poll in and see what wins lol. Vote yes if you prefer streams with a facecam and no if you dont really care or if you dislike it. Thanks for the help

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For streaming I'd lean more towards yes unless you plan to spend most of the time not talking. If you search playerunkown's battlegrounds on Twitch, most of the top streamers run facecams, not all of them but I think more do than don't just looking at the most watched right now. It's not manadatory, I've watched a few streams without one on a regular basis but some people expect it.

If you plan to be quiet and play music it might be better not to have one... I'm not sure.

Kaytonix

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I think for now I'm going to go without and maybe add it one day :)

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
its definitely not necessary, but its definitely helpful, yes some people prefer without but the vast majority do generally prefer a cam, it makes the videos more personable, humans prefer to see a person when they are talking, its only natural, you want to see the reactions of the player, makes your videos more about the person and not just the game you're playing or the video topic, meaning your viewers will watch more of your videos on different topics and not just the one they first came to watch = more views!

i introduced a webcam after about 3 months and never looked back, i would suggest to every gaming channel to have a cam, i would also suggest getting a basic green screen set up, its easy to do, cheap, makes the channel look a bit more professional + it takes up less space on the screen

Reactions: Kaytonix

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'd highly recommend one. For gaming channels, I think it's important, because it helps establish familiarity. Your viewers will actually feel like they're playing a video game with a friend, which is what makes a lot of gaming channels successful. While you can convey personality with voice, and some people actually don't prefer facecam (younger audiences typically don't, I believe, because stranger danger.), I think a webcam helps establish that bond a lot quicker. And with streaming, it feels like you're talking directly to them, when you're answering questions and the like. It's almost like you're just hanging out and people get to see the real, genuine you.

Triple Res

YouTube Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for the input guys :)[DOUBLEPOST=1502867004,1502854802][/DOUBLEPOST]i ended up trying facecam and everyone liked it so thats good lol

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi @Triple Res, I've merged your thread with this one and moved it to the video recording / hardware discussion forum. =)

PallenTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Personally I very very rarely watch a video or a live stream without the Camera. I get so much more entertainment also being able to see their real reactions whilst they play. I can connect so much more to the you tuber if I can see them and I tend to be a more loyal viewer.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To answer this question, look to the leaders in this genre. Do they include face cams? If so, follow their lead.

Personally, watching a person play a video game is horribly boring unless they add some interesting commentary. Otherwise, it feels like going back to my childhood where the younger kids had to sit and watch the older kids play and never got a chance to hold the controller themselves. Frustrating, personally.

Quirkypoo

Reaction score
In my opinion, face cam doesn't mean anything. If your commentary is interesting enough then it will be fine! I watch plenty of youtubers who don't use face cam and some of them are my favourite out the bunch! :) stick with what you're comfortable in!