Facebook vs YouTube monetization eligibility requirements (side by side comparison)

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Today I've looked into Facebook and I saw that they also have minimum threshold for getting videos monetized, so I've decided to do this side by side comparison:

Summary:
  • Facebook asks 10,000 followers vs 1000 subscribers on YouTube.
  • Facebook asks 30,000 minutes of watchtime for the past 2 months vs 240,000 minutes of watchtime in the last 12 months on YouTube. Or roughly 15,000 minutes per month on Facebook vs 20,000 minutes per month on YouTube
  • Facebook monetization is availalble in Argentina, Australia, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Ireland, Jordan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States
    vs
    Algeria, Argentina, Azerbijan, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Great Britain, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines , Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States, Uruguay, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe
    for YouTube.
In short YouTube is more open for small creators in wider area of the world, while Facebook is more oriented for bigger creators.

Facebook pros: Your videos are available and searchable on the biggest social media website in the world.
YouTube pros: Your videos are searchable on the first and available and searchable on second biggest search engines in the world.

Facebook cons: The rules for videos that can be monetized are very strict. Copyright sanctions are taken very seriously, including closing and ban of personal accounts of page administrators.
YouTube cons: Getting closer to Facebook in the area of what videos can be monetized.

If someone can make similar summary for Twitch, I will be very grateful.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: videoeditgr

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't like Facebook period, or most social media. Facebook is also a royal pain in the backside to upload to. I automatically post new YouTube videos to there but that's it.

Madiisuun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I watch all of a YouTube ad and as soon as I get a Facebook ad in the middle of a video I keep scrolling. I can’t be the only one so that’s probably a general downside to Facebook lol

Jandie

Reaction score
But how're the earnings? Most of the ads on Facebook are non-skippable ads.

Can we use the same video that we have on YouTube and upload it to Facebook?

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

I am not sure about the earnings, but there are huge spending for ads on Facebook and I used to see ads all the time when I visit it.
I've used some of my YouTube videos on Facebook without problems.

use Facebook for the Rights Manager (ContentID alike system) to prevent people from freebooting my videos (They still do it) and I gained like 187 followers already just from ownership links.

Eric Parker

Reaction score

Usually less per view, but you can potentially get more views due to facebook's different view counting algo.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

It depends on your video format, the requirements on Facebook are more restrictive than on YouTube. It's been a while since I looked, but I think Facebook requires minimum 1080p videos in MP4 format. If you're not producing that, you can't upload to Facebook at all.