Extremely Long Upload Times

Brandon Dorner

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
My upload times are extremely long which I am finding out is not a normal occurrence for most youtubers.

For a 1 minute video it only takes about 3 minutes which is great for me.
A 5 minute video will take around 30-40 minutes to upload which I can deal with.
But a 20 minute video takes me close to 8 hours to upload.

I'm not sure why it gets exponentially longer to upload per every minute.
I tested my speed on speedtest . net and my upload speed is .42 mbps

But I play online games and skype with ease, and this occurs with two separate computers (one wifi and one directly connected)

If anybody has any tips or ideas on how to fix this problem or improve my upload timeI'd love for some help.
Thanks

F*CKINGENIOUS

Movie freaks unite!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Reviewer
My upload times are pretty long as well. A 5 minute video is about an hour, a 20 minute video is usually 3 and a half hours, but I'm no expert so I have no idea how to cut the upload time down.

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
Yeah, those aren't long upload times. I know people who upload their video, then can't use their computer for the next TWELVE HOURS cause it takes THAT LONG

Miketastic

The Journeystickman
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
its because youtube is currently on site maintenance mode right now... meaning their updating the site, while they're doing that, they have to cut back some stuff such as: comments, creating playlists, and even slow uploads. i don't know when the they'll be done but probably soon so just relax. :)

Brandon Dorner

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
its because youtube is currently on site maintenance mode right now... meaning their updating the site, while they're doing that, they have to cut back some stuff such as: comments, creating playlists, and even slow uploads. i don't know when the they'll be done but probably soon so just relax. :)
No this was like throughout a whole year of uploading haha

Symph

Reaction score
Channel Type
No this was like throughout a whole year of uploading haha
Yeah, I know they seem annoying and long, but that's really not, it's usual. When they're taking 5, 6, even 10 hours, THEN you have unusually long upload times.[DOUBLEPOST=1354579929,1354579881][/DOUBLEPOST]And a 20 min video is VERY long, when I do a 10 min video it takes about an hour.

Brandon Dorner

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Yeah, I know they seem annoying and long, but that's really not, it's usual. When they're taking 5, 6, even 10 hours, THEN you have unusually long upload times.[DOUBLEPOST=1354579929,1354579881][/DOUBLEPOST]And a 20 min video is VERY long, when I do a 10 min video it takes about an hour.
Do you know if there is some way where you upload but it doesn't get released to the public, like to where it still shows up to subscribers once I make it available because I plan on posting on a schedule?

Symph

Reaction score
Channel Type
Do you know if there is some way where you upload but it doesn't get released to the public, like to where it still shows up to subscribers once I make it available because I plan on posting on a schedule?
Actually yes I do. make it unlisted, then post the video in a bulletin. The public won't know about it, but your subs will ;)

Cuttinboard

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
It could depend on your processor too. Like when I upload from computer (which is slow) it takes a while but it's really quick when I upload from my ipad 3. Which has a very fast processor