External sharing

OpiumSymposium

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I want to discuss the pros and cons of sharing your videos on Facebook. I've been sharing my Tommy Wiseau-related videos in a couple of Facebook groups for fans of The Room. The great thing about it is that my videos get much more views than they normally would but there's a certain disadvantage that follows. Since this audience finds the video on Facebook they end up leaving a lot of likes and comments on Facebook but barely ever liking the video on YouTube. That way you can end up with many views but much fewer likes. I don't want to tell people that if they leave a like here than they should also like it on YT since that would just make me feel way too pushy.

As for the view retention, I find it to be a tricky thing. The retention of some of my videos go up after sharing them on Facebook while others drop to the bottomless dark pit. I'm trying to find the pattern here to figure out why that is the case.

What are you experiences and what other advantages and disadvantages can you think of? And does YT algorithm treat external views differently than if they come directly from YouTube?