Explosive growth to overnight death of video

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I have a video that did that. But its for an old video. It started meh, then was getting ok views 2 months before the huge jump. Then the huge jump happened after 10 months of its life then boom, less than ok views more than meh views a few days later until now. I honestly don't know what to feel about it. >.>

I just see it as YouTube saying "f**k you. Its not your time yet, try again next time." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I've also just had a video do the same thing, although the numbers were not as high as yours. If the video was political it is probably just no longer current. As another poster stated, it's also likely that the video was shared to popular facebook pages and is now so far down the feed it is out of sight.

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Huh? I love spam for breakfast. Anyway the channel link of op doesn't work if that's what you mean.

I use the phrase "died on the vine" for videos like this
Wasn't talking about the food... The OP's message is spam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
For folks spiking and then flatlining, are you directing viewers away from YouTube in the video either through End Cards, Annotations or Cards?

If so, you are killing the YouTube session and giving YouTube incentive not to continue promoting your video. This means, even if you get a short-term boost from search, once the relevancy is gone, the video is done.

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Let me just peer into my good old crystal ball...

...Hmm, I'm seeing your video on the traffic sources page in analytics now. I see a big blue spike, that then fades out.

Browse features. When you mouse over that spike, you see that the vast majority of your views/watch time came from "Browse features".

Was I right? ;)

No crystal ball, it just sounds like your video got featured on the home page. You know, when you're on the front page of YouTube and you get suggested various new videos. That's what likely happened to your video. Those suggestions don't remain there forever. While it's on the home page you'll get a disproportionate amount of views, which is why getting videos featured there is instrumental in growing a channel quickly... but soon it'll no longer be on the home page and it's back to the old crawl of views from search/related videos.

It can end up back on the home page again later if a sudden large enough spike in watch time happens on the video to trigger the algorithm to pick it up - I've had a particular video end up on the home page for a lot of people at least twice now, the most recent time being triggered by a large YouTuber discussing the subject that my video is about, causing a mass influx of people searching for it. The added watch time made the algorithm pick up my video and start recommending it.