Explosive growth to overnight death of video

learnedmastery

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I posted a news/politics related video a few weeks ago, and it was getting explosive growth from the get go.

It was my first video and within a few days it had a few hundred thousand views, then I started losing tens of thousands of views, then overnight the video completely died. And now its dead.

Why would this happen? Any ideas?
Please see the image of the views graph that I attachedvideo died.png

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Lack of interest in whatever the video was about?
Not enough engagement?
Low retention ?
More content on the same subject from other channels with more authority/YouTube juice?

Probably more reasons but those are a few.

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It's hard to say. I would suggest digging into the analytics as they become available and try to see where all these views were coming from.

Were they from outside sites like Facebook and Twitter? If so, then links to your video have fallen down in people's news streams due to age.

Were they from the Suggested Videos at the end of other videos? If so then YouTube stopped suggesting it for whatever reason - often times lack of audience retention.

If that is the case, look at your retention and try to find out at what point during the video people are bailing out.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Considering it's a news/politics video, I would assume it's largely because of relevancy. This is pure guesswork though since I'm not sure what exactly your topic was but anyway... if the topic you chose was something that gets updated with new information over time, people are going to look at newer versions of that news/politics piece. If it's also a popular topic, your video may have been buried in the search results with a wave of new content pouring in when updates happen.

Reactions: darkstarmedia

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Because you only paid a third party company for so many views and when they ran out, so did your video??

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It just happens. It falls from grace. Sometimes it does it fast, other times it takes a while. I have had videos be dead and then all of a sudden spike in views again. My cars and coffee mustang crash video gets views every single time another cars and coffee type crash happens...

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Because you only paid a third party company for so many views and when they ran out, so did your video??
hahahaha, I do news and politics as well and none of my vids have hit anywhere near that. When he said he had that kind of turnout on his first vid I was like I wouldnt care if it dropped because with that much exposure my vid the next day would keep the growth up. I would like to see his retention chart.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have several videos that have done the same.
They explode and I consider what Ferrari I am going to buy; then the video fizzes out to nothing and I continue to drive a Nissan.
So I now just keep uploading content seeking my next explosion.

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Seriously, am I the only one who saw this and said... eww yuck, spam for breakfast...

...you couldn't pay me to click on the channel link.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Seriously, am I the only one who saw this and said... eww yuck, spam for breakfast...

...you couldn't pay me to click on the channel link.
Huh? I love spam for breakfast. Anyway the channel link of op doesn't work if that's what you mean.

I use the phrase "died on the vine" for videos like this