Experience with Re-posting your old video's?

Emerrias

Reaction score
I've tried revamping everything from tags, descriptions, and titles for a few of my old videos (>3 months old) hoping it would get reindexed by YT/Google searches to no avail. Didn't get any new traffic to the video even though the video does add value (originally had weak tags and such).

Now I'm thinking of deleting it and re-uploading/posting it as a new video to get the boost of a "new video" for the good search results new video's get.

Has anyone here had good or bad results from doing this type of thing? Please share your experiences and/or advice.

Thanks!
-Mike
Hey Mike! In my opinion, it's not worth it! I looked up if filenames effect SEO and I found out that it used to, however it does not anymore. Therefore, you should just try to max out your best tags and make some attractive thumbnails to bring some life to those videos. But in the end, you could always remake some older ones as a newer version for people to see, since maybe you've gained more skills or new equipment since then!

Cheers,
Emerrias

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jealous Lawn Care

Emerrias

Reaction score
I did it with some of my videos.... Deleted them and changed them a bit with the animation and added a new intro.. I actually have no idea if it´s good or bad though (apart from the views of course) but judging from the comments in this thread it is a bad idea:) I wont do it again I guess
Hmmm I think if you change it a bit and add a few things then it's not a bad idea[emoji5]

Emerrias

Reaction score
Hi. That may not be a good idea. You will loose your views for a start. I guess you want it re-indexed to try and make it perform better to get more views. But with some videos you can make awesome tags, description, title, seo and still get little success because the topic of the video just isn't popular/trending etc. If you are going to to delete and re-upload then rename the file and call it something seo relevant- not just 001.mpg etc.
I agree with this but after some research looks like filenames don't matter too much! [emoji5]

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do not re-upload old videos, but I will go back and edit tags, thumbnails and titles!

Reactions: Emerrias

Jealous Lawn Care

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good info guys, thanks for your help. I definitely know that saying keywords at the beginning of the video helps...unfortunately I didn't find that out until around 55/60 videos published. :-/

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This sounds like my experience as well! Keep me posted about your results please :)
I just reposted one of my old videos on my second channel, with optimized metadata, let's see how it goes I have a good feeling that it will work & if it turns out to do so, I will do the same for my main channel as well :thumbsup2:

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have done this a few times to good results. As my channel has a massively bigger reach than 6 months ago, plus my thumbnail and general SEO skills are much better, I've uploaded old videos with just some minor changes to them. I had one that got 5k views last May, but was getting less than 10 views a week since then. Now I've uploaded it again slightly improved and it's gotten 23k views. It's been a great resource for when I've been short on time to do something 100% original.

A few points to make, although these are basically common sense:

1) Don't touch an old video if it is still getting good views.
2) Make sure it is still relevant.
3) If you think the old video didn't do well simply as it wasn't good enough as a standalone, maybe there is something in there you can salvage, or put it into a compilation or something.
4) Keep a VERY close eye on a reuploaded video. Any negative comments about it being a reupload, an unusual amount of dislikes etc...pull it immediately.

Recycling old content in an effective way is a smart thing to be able to in marketing. But original content is always better, so be smart and not lazy.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have deleted many videos in the past and remade them and re uploaded and had positive results.
Ive not reuploaded the very same video though. But a revamped and improved version. Actually I could have just left the 'original' in place also and gained traffic from both.