Experience with Re-posting your old video's?

Jealous Lawn Care

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've tried revamping everything from tags, descriptions, and titles for a few of my old videos (>3 months old) hoping it would get reindexed by YT/Google searches to no avail. Didn't get any new traffic to the video even though the video does add value (originally had weak tags and such).

Now I'm thinking of deleting it and re-uploading/posting it as a new video to get the boost of a "new video" for the good search results new video's get.

Has anyone here had good or bad results from doing this type of thing? Please share your experiences and/or advice.

Thanks!
-Mike

Reactions: Emerrias

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi. That may not be a good idea. You will loose your views for a start. I guess you want it re-indexed to try and make it perform better to get more views. But with some videos you can make awesome tags, description, title, seo and still get little success because the topic of the video just isn't popular/trending etc. If you are going to to delete and re-upload then rename the file and call it something seo relevant- not just 001.mpg etc.

Jealous Lawn Care

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi. That may not be a good idea. You will loose your views for a start. I guess you want it re-indexed to try and make it perform better to get more views. But with some videos you can make awesome tags, description, title, seo and still get little success because the topic of the video just isn't popular/trending etc. If you are going to to delete and re-upload then rename the file and call it something seo relevant- not just 001.mpg etc.
Ya i was thinking about changing the name when I upload also to something SEO relevant (I haven't done this in the past). I wonder how much file name matters for searches and such...

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have thought about doing this before, not really re-uploading the same video but taking some old video's and re-editing from the orrigional footage. but really if your happy with the video to start with I would say don't do it. it may put off some subscribers who have already seen it by re-uploading. old video's can still take off even after being doormat a while iv had it happen. I would say just work on moving forward with new content.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You will loose your views for a start.
agree!

If this helps, I have deleted the whole channel and reuploaded everything after I realized that I sc***ed up with my channel. Indeed I choosed better titles, no warnings on previously controversial titles revamped thumbs, etc. This happened January. Now I got 4 subscribers (that I know them) and 700 views in total out of around 50 videos. The same videos (previously about 25 original videos) one seasonal and one evergreen out of those 25 gave me about 2000 original views each. Now they got 10-15 views mostly from my self checking links and forwards from my blog and vice versa. So I guess the answer is "no". You also will lose control of your content if you delete and reupload as long as if someone have copied and reuploaded a video of yours previously can claim (by dates) that his (copy) video is older than yours and that yours is a copy if his....

:)

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've tried revamping everything from tags, descriptions, and titles for a few of my old videos (>3 months old) hoping it would get reindexed by YT/Google searches to no avail. Didn't get any new traffic to the video even though the video does add value (originally had weak tags and such).

Now I'm thinking of deleting it and re-uploading/posting it as a new video to get the boost of a "new video" for the good search results new video's get.

Has anyone here had good or bad results from doing this type of thing? Please share your experiences and/or advice.

Thanks!
-Mike
I have done the same where I went through all of my videos optimizing the metadata and the results were that my most popular videos had a good effect of this, I have one video that generates over 1000 views per month after optimizing it but the least popular once I saw in most cases 0 results and that's because I did not do a proper work in terms of choosing the right keywords but I have improved a lot since and know how to do it the right way now so I took one of my videos down and decided to reupload it again with uptomised tags to see what results I get this time, cause we all know youtube loves new videos so the chance it would rank better this time is much higher.

If it turns out to work I will do the same for some of my other videos which I know has good potential, I have a goal of 100 daily views I need to get reach :thumbsup2:

Reactions: Jealous Lawn Care

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
My channel is 5 months old. About 2 months ago, I decided to one by one re-edit my 30 gateway videos by adding a better logo, adding a watermark for the entire videos, and adding subtitles and then reuploading them. I lost a lot of views from deleting the originals, but these reuploads are getting likes and earning me subscribers whereas the originals never got any likes or earned me any subs.

Forget about short term pain (loss of views) and think long term. Youtube is a mult-year game, taking a month or two to make your videos better is a good investment for the long term (5 - 10 years).

Good luck!

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I have thought about doing this before, not really re-uploading the same video but taking some old video's and re-editing from the orrigional footage. but really if your happy with the video to start with I would say don't do it. it may put off some subscribers who have already seen it by re-uploading. old video's can still take off even after being doormat a while iv had it happen. I would say just work on moving forward with new content.
My experience of deleting and re uploading was for similar reasons. I deleted one of my first ever uploads because i was embarrassed by the narration, needed to make it more compliant with some YT rules, and wanted better lighting, audio and editing now that I had better skills. I completely remade the video rather than uploading the same video footage. I'm glad I did it as the newer video I uploaded was far better quality and was much more successful than the first.

I've also deleted a couple of my early low performing videos, and not bothered remaking as I didn't see the point if there is no interest for the particular content on YT.

And for the person that asked.. Yeh the filename definitely makes a difference. Make sure its very similar or same as the SEO optimised Title that you will be using. Also, Say/Speak relevant keywords early in video as YT listens knows what your saying. Captions are a good plan too.

Jealous Lawn Care

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have done the same where I went through all of my videos optimizing the metadata and the results were that my most popular videos had a good effect of this, I have one video that generates over 1000 views per month after optimizing it but the least popular once I saw in most cases 0 results and that's because I did not do a proper work in terms of choosing the right keywords but I have improved a lot since and know how to do it the right way now so I took one of my videos down and decided to reupload it again with uptomised tags to see what results I get this time, cause we all know youtube loves new videos so the chance it would rank better this time is much higher.

If it turns out to work I will do the same for some of my other videos which I know has good potential, I have a goal of 100 daily views I need to get reach :thumbsup2:
This sounds like my experience as well! Keep me posted about your results please :)

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I did it with some of my videos.... Deleted them and changed them a bit with the animation and added a new intro.. I actually have no idea if it´s good or bad though (apart from the views of course) but judging from the comments in this thread it is a bad idea:) I wont do it again I guess

Reactions: Emerrias