Everything Game Recording Help

Alk

Reaction score
Hey guys so I plan on starting my own YouTube channel for gaming HOWEVER I’m quickly finding out how hard this is for someone who doesn’t quite know what they’re doing. I downloaded OBS to screen record and get hit film 4 so I could edit and such but I mean I honestly don’t know what to do. I don’t know how to make an intro at least one that doesn’t look like your typical trash template that every person uses when they have one subscriber (not hating on people with one sub but the intros don’t look good in my own personal opinion). Next I can’t get my quality right for recording. I have a gtx 1060 and play Warframe on all the highest setting but when I put the video into hit film it gets blurry and even when I fix it in the viewer it still doesn’t look the way it does on my screen. Next I don’t even know how to use hitfilm and edit so I was considering downgrading to a more basic editing software so I can actually get to editing without spending days learning all the pieces of Hitfilm. Soooooooooooo... what I’m getting at is could someone compile all this information for me? Like links on how to make a good intro, edit, actually record in good quality etc etc? Sorry for the long post but I’m very excited to get into this hobby but it’s pretty difficult figuring all this out so help is very appreciated. Thanks for your time guys. If you have questions/ need more info tell me and I will respond ASAP.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That's a lot to compile, but I have some simpler advice for starters. Hitfilm is primarily a special effects/compositing software and you'll get more editing mileage out of something like movie studio platinum, which is the cheaper version of vegas. Both work with hitfilm when you learn how to properly add compositing and effects to your videos (you can edit a video in movie studio/vegas and then have hitfilm open it and add effects).

For recording quality, set the recording to 3500 bit rate or up (at Constant Bit Rate) in order to get a decent quality. The higher you go, the harder the strain on your pc, so games or the recordings could lag. 3500 is a good starting point, I think. Hitfilm (and most editing/compositing software) have a properties section for the actual project where you can mess with bitrate and quality levels as well. Just remember, google is your friend. I don't even know how I got started, but I just kept googling every step that I didn't know. If I wanted to improve rendering quality in Vegas, I googled how to do that and honestly, that's how must editors have taught themselves and it's the best way to go.

Alk

Reaction score
That's a lot to compile, but I have some simpler advice for starters. Hitfilm is primarily a special effects/compositing software and you'll get more editing mileage out of something like movie studio platinum, which is the cheaper version of vegas. Both work with hitfilm when you learn how to properly add compositing and effects to your videos (you can edit a video in movie studio/vegas and then have hitfilm open it and add effects).

For recording quality, set the recording to 3500 bit rate or up (at Constant Bit Rate) in order to get a decent quality. The higher you go, the harder the strain on your pc, so games or the recordings could lag. 3500 is a good starting point, I think. Hitfilm (and most editing/compositing software) have a properties section for the actual project where you can mess with bitrate and quality levels as well. Just remember, google is your friend. I don't even know how I got started, but I just kept googling every step that I didn't know. If I wanted to improve rendering quality in Vegas, I googled how to do that and honestly, that's how must editors have taught themselves and it's the best way to go.
Yeah ik thanks for responding in the first place. What software would you recommend for editing? It doesn’t have to be amazing just free and enough that my videos look good. Also will a usb work for storing video even when it’s like the highest quality I can get?

Reactions: daniel burgio

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yep, USB will work. I use external storage all the time. Your internal drives will fill up fast. I recommend Movie Studio Platinum for starters. Just make sure you have a lot of RAM. Adobe Premiere is great too and actually has a more stable video preview. Movie Studio will get bogged down pretty easily without enough RAM. 12-16 gbs if you can upgrade yours. However, it's still very doable without any upgrades. I used Movie Studio Platinum on an old potato when I started, it just got very frustrating. It links well with Hitfilm (just remember to re-install HitFilm after installing Movie Studio so it will recognize Studio and link to it).