EU Copyright law supposedly will damage the internet

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This makes zero sense. Europe has passed a law which could go into affect next year that would allow anyone that links something online required to pay a fee to share anything and Europe wants YouTube and Facebook to scan uploads and remove copyrighted content automatically with no exceptions. I looked into this further and it seems even if you have permission it doesn't matter. I don't get how Europe can legally control the rest of the world.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17849868/eu-internet-copyright-reform-article-11-13-approved
[Edit: Clickable link added by YTtalk staff]

Last edited by a moderator:

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Slight correction, they have not yet implemented it. All the member states have to agree to it first.

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
Slight correction, they have not yet implemented it. All the member states have to agree to it first.
God I hope they don't go through with this. Creativity on the internet will be absolutely squandered (for the most part) if there's no way to show copyrighted material even if it falls under fair use laws like parody or criticism. That would be absolutely insane if they passed it.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
No more memes. :(

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube really has no choice but to block the EU from accessing it if this goes through. YouTube cannot survive under those conditions, especially since they stand to lose $4 billion dollars if they do not remove anything that the EU decides is "offensive" within an hour of it being posted. It's insane. All social media will either have to cut off the EU or go out of business.

eroM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube really has no choice but to block the EU from accessing it if this goes through.
I sure hope this is not the case. I'd have to consider new living arrangements since I live in Finland. Although my infant channel and the content I produce is my own content and not susceptible to infringement, I'd be gut punched if I could no longer access the platform.

How does a EU law upend a US law? There could be massive backlash towards the EU parliament if YouTube pulls access rights to EU countries. Enough that I would imagine Article 13 would have to be seriously reconsidered. Not to mention if the platform is censored, it could seriously hurt the bottom lines of companies depending on that very same US consumption.

I would image companies would appreciate the free advertising that the content providers in the affected categories are churning out.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I sure hope this is not the case. I'd have to consider new living arrangements since I live in Finland. Although my infant channel and the content I produce is my own content and not susceptible to infringement, I'd be gut punched if I could no longer access the platform.

How does a EU law upend a US law? There could be massive backlash towards the EU parliament if YouTube pulls access rights to EU countries. Enough that I would imagine Article 13 would have to be seriously reconsidered. Not to mention if the platform is censored, it could seriously hurt the bottom lines of companies depending on that very same US consumption.

I would image companies would appreciate the free advertising that the content providers in the affected categories are churning out.
It wouldn't be just YouTube, but all social media. The EU would lose access to Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and every other non-EU based platform. Considering that these platforms face millions of dollars in fines every time they fail to follow EU laws, it's financial suicide to remain. Maybe the only way to get Article 13 overturned is for all of Europe to rise up and overthrow the EU entirely.

Reactions: eroM

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think this is mostly for news sites and replication of news and media presented as own. It is well known that news agencies do the work and any shadow online service can replicate media or text in whole with no problem. Google news were also accused for news replication i think..

Yet for artists that seem to lose profits.

But.
There is a difference between the free offered culture and the free public distribution of copyrighted work. It might end up to a good thing after modification amd tweaking. As everything.

Time will tell.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
From what I researched and read a while ago this doesn't only apply to News Sites, actually I believe that the industry that complained the most was the Music Industry, but that's not a surprise lmao.

Long story short Music Industry says:
My song is used in short videos/memes, people use them in videos on YT and Facebook, people earned money from that and YouTube is also earning money from my content. [Which is true if you think about it] They don't really complain about youtubers using their music, but YouTube earning money from copyright content and allowing that in their platform.

News Industry says:
A tech Youtuber used and showed my article about this subject on his video (no surprise why no one will read the article since the tech youtuber summarised it), he's earning money from this and YouTube too. Same for Memes about News Media like one of my favourites: "Hide your kids, hide your wife". Now we don't know if we can show one paragraph of an article, one sentence or... one word?

After that, other companies joined forces and said,, I don't want my images to be shown in videos = Disney memes/Disney Property.

So these companies said "Hey YouTube, you need to enforce all of this with a better AI/bot system to stop this content"
Facebook replied: meeh, sure why not, sounds like fun
Youtube replied: Dang it, I don't think we know how to properly do that so we don't want to even try. We don't even understand the actual algorithm :(

The real question here is: How is YouTube going to change next year and how that is going to affect us???
I believe they changed their rules on February this year so It wouldn't surprise me they will do it again next year, specially since the EU needs to vote again on January I believe.

It's quite an interesting topic but scary at the same time if you upload images in your videos and you are in the YPP, specially for me since I like using memes/images in my videos. Does that means I will receive 100+ copyright strikes due my old videos? Will my content be safe since it was uploaded before the new law is enforced? Will these industries only attack big channels? How will this affect fair use? This is only on Europe so does that means my videos will be blocked in European countries? How bad will this affect gaming channels?

I believe there will be a time in the future when you will need to own every image/video in your video so if you are a Digital Artist be prepared to earn some money on Fiver by selling memes XD. Bigger channels might pay for all of this but again and as always... small channels might be highly affected.