Estimated Monetized Playback % Decreasing. What is Your's Doing?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Mine has gone the other way. Views have decreased but monetised playback has remained the same resulting in my % increasing from around 35% to 60%.
Im down on views but remain level on revenue.
That's a good place to be at. Your channel is a more efficient revenue generator.[DOUBLEPOST=1506576374,1506576227][/DOUBLEPOST]
You could start another channel like Kidscorner's.. do a compilation channel with videos over 10 mins long.. compiling videos from your main channel. Brilliant of them actually! That channel of theirs seems to be doing quite well!
Yep definitely something I'm considering. I'm hesitant waiting for the demonetization fiasco to get some stability. I would want to make the new channel not get $ strikes if at all possible. Since the videos on the main channel are still getting striked with yellow $ signs, I'm waiting.[DOUBLEPOST=1506576486][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've also noticed this. When we first did some compilations, they did pretty well, but now they just die a quick death... even with really good retention.
They probably bomb out in the % retention. I guess. Unless it's really loyal viewers who are happy to rewatch. Maybe it's best not to position them as compilations, but just tag on enough backlog to the current video to pass the 10:02 mark.[DOUBLEPOST=1506577293][/DOUBLEPOST]
Judging how my own kids watch youtube, they actually like to watch videos they have watched before and keep watching it again as well. It also ads a lot of potential watch time on top of your new video. E.g. if I make a 3 minute video and I attach 7 minutes of old videos after, the people who continue watching it after 3 minutes ads a lot of watch time to the channel.
Thanks so much for your feedback on this post. Irrespective of my feelings for the current state of the demonetization AI, I will bite the bullet. We are Youtubers (hey we even ordered a custom licence play for the car to that effect!) so we got to Youtube. I will start a comps channel this week. Lots of work, but feels hopeful! I completely agree in the watch time discrepancy between the primary and comp channel, all else being equal, that fact alone should drive more traffic.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks so much! I’ll consider it. I just can’t seem to produce enough videos on our current channel. Starting another channel seems daunting since this one took forever to get it to where it is and it’s really hardly anything at all.
I know the feeling! We are just now back to 5,000 views per day, but with a comp channel it just makes sense. Longer videos=more watch time. A compilation channel shouldn't take as much time. Since you will be using videos from your main channel, but I know life is busy! We are only producing 2 videos per week now on our main channel. Working part time at home, being a mom and managing other channels is just a lot!

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
One of the things that I've noticed here and on a bunch of other forums is that kids-related channels are being hit really hard lately. I wonder if there's extra scrutiny because of that designation itself? No idea, just a wild hunch, but I do know that YouTube has specifically mentioned channels that use copyrighted kids-themed characters and merchandise in inappropriate ways as something they're working to eradicate, so this could be a big sweep that's catching up a lot of innocent channels as they shake it all out.

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

hifriends

Reaction score
I hope this is ok if I ask this question here as it has to do with a toy channel.
Why would a toy channel according to Social Blade be 18 million in the negative for the last 30 days. Were they being shady and had videos removed??
Is this something you commonly see and not a big deal?

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
I also have a question - lots of kids channels put "nursery rhymes" and "johny johny yes papa" into title and tags when there are none of them in the video - is it allowed by YT or considered violation of their TOS?

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Fingers crossed I seem to be growing in terms of revenue and my RPM has increased too. I have had a couple of videos get the yellow icon of doom. I manually appealed them, and even though it says I need 1000 views for it to be reviewed, they were monetised within a few hours. I must be doing something right I dunno lol

Reactions: RTT

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I also have a question - lots of kids channels put "nursery rhymes" and "johny johny yes papa" into title and tags when there are none of them in the video - is it allowed by YT or considered violation of their TOS?
Yes it's very annoying and hope this thing will die off soon. In theory it will be against the TOS but nobody seems to bother including youtube. I've used it as well and my channel manager had a look at the channel recently and didn't say anything either. It will be very hard to review if somebody used a nursery rhyme in their video or not and even so the definition of what a nursery rhyme is could be a debate. As it pulls in most of the views and most channels realize that copying someone's title/thumbnail & structure/story of the video can bring in trucks of cash without much effort. Of course sooooo many channels do it nowadays that you might actually need to wonder if that strategy still works (it worked very well at end of 2016 into 2017 when people just started doing it).

Kinan Media

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
your viewers may be different from your previous viewers, maybe after joining this forum your viewers come from other countries, so your income so increase even though the number of viewers decreased .. so please be my chanel subscriber and watch my video well ,,, so that my income also increases as you ha ha ha

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yes it's very annoying and hope this thing will die off soon. In theory it will be against the TOS but nobody seems to bother including youtube. I've used it as well and my channel manager had a look at the channel recently and didn't say anything either. It will be very hard to review if somebody used a nursery rhyme in their video or not and even so the definition of what a nursery rhyme is could be a debate. As it pulls in most of the views and most channels realize that copying someone's title/thumbnail & structure/story of the video can bring in trucks of cash without much effort. Of course sooooo many channels do it nowadays that you might actually need to wonder if that strategy still works (it worked very well at end of 2016 into 2017 when people just started doing it).
Haha yes very annoying but we don't dare to try it on our channel. No doubt channels like Vlad will just get slap on their wrist, and ours will get banned on the spot.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I hope this is ok if I ask this question here as it has to do with a toy channel.
Why would a toy channel according to Social Blade be 18 million in the negative for the last 30 days. Were they being shady and had videos removed??
Is this something you commonly see and not a big deal?
If you delete a video, Yt will deduct the views of that video from total channel views. Perhaps the channel cleared their inventory of non-ad friendly videos in order to make the channel ad friendly. I highly doubt Yt will delete videos especially for that # of views, and the channel still be up.[DOUBLEPOST=1507811897,1507811575][/DOUBLEPOST]
One of the things that I've noticed here and on a bunch of other forums is that kids-related channels are being hit really hard lately. I wonder if there's extra scrutiny because of that designation itself? No idea, just a wild hunch, but I do know that YouTube has specifically mentioned channels that use copyrighted kids-themed characters and merchandise in inappropriate ways as something they're working to eradicate, so this could be a big sweep that's catching up a lot of innocent channels as they shake it all out.
Yes and no. Any channels using family-friendly characters in vile ways lose monetization on those videos. So you can't have Peppa Pig pooping and vomiting, or Spiderman impregnating Elsa in every second video. Since $ (and not, oh let's say, artistic expression) drives these types of emotive videos, not making money off them leaves little incentive to make more of them. Sure, one can argue, they will get views and those can be redirected, but there is evidence to suggest that demonetized non-ad friendly videos go off into the corpus more quickly, there is little incentive to run them for Yt. Part of the being hit hard is the fact that there's no point making these videos any more, with the resultant loss of views and $. Edgy stuff gets views, if you stop making it, the channel will get hit with less views. So they may be getting hit as a result of their own decision wrt what videos to make, not Yt being after them. [DOUBLEPOST=1507812146][/DOUBLEPOST]
As KK mentioned, a sequence in the video can be considered a nursery rhyme. There's nothing to say they must be sung, or well know. It's up to individual artistic expression. So you can put that in the t/t/d. JJYP, referencing a specific nursery rhyme, should be in the vid if it's referenced. I don't think there's any point policing that for Yt, they have much bigger fish to fry. It's the a same as putting the tag "toy" in the video when there actually may not be toys in the video, it just being a skit.[DOUBLEPOST=1507812459][/DOUBLEPOST]
Haha yes very annoying but we don't dare to try it on our channel. No doubt channels like Vlad will just get slap on their wrist, and ours will get banned on the spot.
It is true. A small channel will just get shut down with a generic TOS violation banner message, but a big channel will pass with no issues. It makes little sense to cut off your feet if you're a rickshaw runner in Hong Kong.