Estimated Monetized Playback % Decreasing. What is Your's Doing?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Mine has gone the other way. Views have decreased but monetised playback has remained the same resulting in my % increasing from around 35% to 60%.
Im down on views but remain level on revenue.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok cool thanks for that feedback. Unfortunately I don't have that many videos longer than 10 min. I tried making more compilations, but the views die out much more quickly than single videos. I guess the key is try to make 10:05 single topic videos and hope those would be good, sort of like ToysToSee. Only when the channel starts a rocking, then can put several short videos together.

Just had a thought - maybe anything tagged "compilation" does not do as good. Having a look at some of the high traffic Russian channels, their compilation are not tagged as such, each video seems to be a new video, even though it's 3 minutes with another 2-3 glued onto the back. Perhaps the algo discounts compilations tags as not fresh content?
You could start another channel like Kidscorner's.. do a compilation channel with videos over 10 mins long.. compiling videos from your main channel. Brilliant of them actually! That channel of theirs seems to be doing quite well!

JackJack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just had a thought - maybe anything tagged "compilation" does not do as good. Having a look at some of the high traffic Russian channels, their compilation are not tagged as such, each video seems to be a new video, even though it's 3 minutes with another 2-3 glued onto the back. Perhaps the algo discounts compilations tags as not fresh content?
I've also noticed this. When we first did some compilations, they did pretty well, but now they just die a quick death... even with really good retention.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've plotted the Estimated Monetized Playbacks as a % There is a constant and consistent monthly decrease. What is your % doing this year?

I'm wondering if this is a problem with our channel, or due to the "adpocalypse" and less ads served overall?

Basically it means, even though we are getting views, less of those views are monetized. It could mean that some of the videos getting lots of views are not monetized (which is true - about a dozen of our vids have the orange $ icon), it could also mean less ads are being served overall on our channel.

Thought? Ideas? Suggestions?

View attachment 41131
I have my share of demonetized videos as well, lately straight after uploading even. I'm still troubleshooting it but what I do is I upload it as scheduled. Half of the time it gets demonetized in a few minutes (video not public yet) and the other half usually gets it in the first week somewhere (probably due to some worried parents flagging it as not advertiser friendly, some parents really hate our content judging from the comments...).
I have encountered that some specific sound effects trigger the AI to put it on non advertiser friendly (I had a sound effect from an insect that made it non advertiser friendly....). Funny thing I found out though is that if you upload, check if it demonetized, delete it, re-upload again (you can't re-upload it unless you delete the other copy) and repeat a few times, it passes the check and is monetizable from the start. Seems to me that the AI doesn't scan all videos when uploading but just does a certain percentage of it (maybe based on previous history/reputation?).

Anyways back to your question, the results seem to vary per month but I think it's because they started demonetizing some of my very popular videos. I've put the figures of the last few months of my second channel below as my first channel has been having a rough time and I can't get it recovered yet.

upload_2017-9-26_21-38-11.png

I've seen channels put lots of ads on their videos and was always worried about retention if you do so. Fact is that it doesn't seem to matter, as long as you put the ads in sections where the viewer will wait it out because it happens at an exciting point of the video. I usually put one around 1 minute and then followed by another ad every following 2 minutes. I also put an ad in the end screen section and after the video. So far have not encountered any negative side effect yet and it's much more profitable this way. Never seen any complaint in the comments either about it. As youtube doesn't put ads on each opportunity anyways, it can easily happen that you won't have an ad for ten minutes while I put like 7 or 8 markers in there...[DOUBLEPOST=1506456085,1506455600][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ok cool thanks for that feedback. Unfortunately I don't have that many videos longer than 10 min. I tried making more compilations, but the views die out much more quickly than single videos. I guess the key is try to make 10:05 single topic videos and hope those would be good, sort of like ToysToSee. Only when the channel starts a rocking, then can put several short videos together.

What I did was make a new video and ad some old ones after that. I figure that the majority of the views come from people who never seen the channel before so they don't mind watching the older content after it. Judging how my own kids watch youtube, they actually like to watch videos they have watched before and keep watching it again as well. It also ads a lot of potential watch time on top of your new video. E.g. if I make a 3 minute video and I attach 7 minutes of old videos after, the people who continue watching it after 3 minutes ads a lot of watch time to the channel.

I also try something new, I believe the sweet spot is an upload every two days if you have good traction already. This way you have a lot of videos with new status on the suggested and when you have a dud video it won't hurt your channel much. Thing is that I cannot make content every two days so I reupload old videos too. I make a new thumbnail for it, name it differently and upload again. Very successful formula for me at the moment and I've seen Vlad Crazyshow have a huge success with this strategy too.

My first channel has the same videos but then without the old stuff attached to it and the success is much worse unfortunately. Same content, similar thumbnails, much less views.... Probably all related to watch time differences.[DOUBLEPOST=1506456294][/DOUBLEPOST]
You could start another channel like Kidscorner's.. do a compilation channel with videos over 10 mins long.. compiling videos from your main channel. Brilliant of them actually! That channel of theirs seems to be doing quite well!
Thanks :) I observed "webs and tiaras/toy monster" using this strategy with much success and the same goes for Vlad Crazyshow/Niki Toys.[DOUBLEPOST=1506456437][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've also noticed this. When we first did some compilations, they did pretty well, but now they just die a quick death... even with really good retention.
It's all in the thumbnail/title then! I've reuploaded videos with great retention with a different thumbnail after a few weeks and had much better success with it the second/third time.

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's normal for that percentage of monetized to be high in December, when there's a lot more ads going up. I think things will turn around within a few months. We've been fairly stable lately aside from the occasional dips and spikes.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My monetized playbacks have mostly stayed about what I expected except for August, which strangely was my best month of 2017 by far but got almost the same number of monetized playbacks as March and in March I had about 2/3rds of the views and mabye 60% of the watchtime I got in August. To top it off I only pulled 75% of the revenue in August that I got in March on almost the same number of playbacks so very disappointed with that... had about 36% playbacks on views in March and down to 25% in August. September is back up to 28% so far... All of my videos are green atm.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have my share of demonetized videos as well, lately straight after uploading even. I'm still troubleshooting it but what I do is I upload it as scheduled. Half of the time it gets demonetized in a few minutes (video not public yet) and the other half usually gets it in the first week somewhere (probably due to some worried parents flagging it as not advertiser friendly, some parents really hate our content judging from the comments...).
I have encountered that some specific sound effects trigger the AI to put it on non advertiser friendly (I had a sound effect from an insect that made it non advertiser friendly....). Funny thing I found out though is that if you upload, check if it demonetized, delete it, re-upload again (you can't re-upload it unless you delete the other copy) and repeat a few times, it passes the check and is monetizable from the start. Seems to me that the AI doesn't scan all videos when uploading but just does a certain percentage of it (maybe based on previous history/reputation?).

Anyways back to your question, the results seem to vary per month but I think it's because they started demonetizing some of my very popular videos. I've put the figures of the last few months of my second channel below as my first channel has been having a rough time and I can't get it recovered yet.

View attachment 41151

I've seen channels put lots of ads on their videos and was always worried about retention if you do so. Fact is that it doesn't seem to matter, as long as you put the ads in sections where the viewer will wait it out because it happens at an exciting point of the video. I usually put one around 1 minute and then followed by another ad every following 2 minutes. I also put an ad in the end screen section and after the video. So far have not encountered any negative side effect yet and it's much more profitable this way. Never seen any complaint in the comments either about it. As youtube doesn't put ads on each opportunity anyways, it can easily happen that you won't have an ad for ten minutes while I put like 7 or 8 markers in there...[DOUBLEPOST=1506456085,1506455600][/DOUBLEPOST]

What I did was make a new video and ad some old ones after that. I figure that the majority of the views come from people who never seen the channel before so they don't mind watching the older content after it. Judging how my own kids watch youtube, they actually like to watch videos they have watched before and keep watching it again as well. It also ads a lot of potential watch time on top of your new video. E.g. if I make a 3 minute video and I attach 7 minutes of old videos after, the people who continue watching it after 3 minutes ads a lot of watch time to the channel.

I also try something new, I believe the sweet spot is an upload every two days if you have good traction already. This way you have a lot of videos with new status on the suggested and when you have a dud video it won't hurt your channel much. Thing is that I cannot make content every two days so I reupload old videos too. I make a new thumbnail for it, name it differently and upload again. Very successful formula for me at the moment and I've seen Vlad Crazyshow have a huge success with this strategy too.

My first channel has the same videos but then without the old stuff attached to it and the success is much worse unfortunately. Same content, similar thumbnails, much less views.... Probably all related to watch time differences.[DOUBLEPOST=1506456294][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks :) I observed "webs and tiaras/toy monster" using this strategy with much success and the same goes for Vlad Crazyshow/Niki Toys.[DOUBLEPOST=1506456437][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's all in the thumbnail/title then! I've reuploaded videos with great retention with a different thumbnail after a few weeks and had much better success with it the second/third time.
Very interesting.. I have seen Vlad to this as well.. Makes me want to try a compilation channel.. Def something to look into if we every get big enough.

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer

View attachment 41151

Thank you for this wealth of knowledge. I also cannot produce even 2 videos a week. This gives me a good option to try to upload an older video with a few small changes. Does this theory work for only established channels though? We are in a terrible rough spot. We have over 5K subs, but our views for our videos are heading back down to the point when we first started back on YT. There’s really only one video keeping us afloat right now.[DOUBLEPOST=1506486262][/DOUBLEPOST]
Very interesting.. I have seen Vlad to this as well.. Makes me want to try a compilation channel.. Def something to look into if we every get big enough.
What if we try to do more compilation videos in our primary channel? Since we don’t have many subs, I can’t justify starting another channel. At least then, we are producing some content... I don’t know. Just dying here on our channel.[DOUBLEPOST=1506486760][/DOUBLEPOST]
What’s the name of the 2nd channel so that I can check it out? And just curious, why not put compilation videos on a primary channel? Any benefits to doing this on a secondary channel instead?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you for this wealth of knowledge. I also cannot produce even 2 videos a week. This gives me a good option to try to upload an older video with a few small changes. Does this theory work for only established channels though? We are in a terrible rough spot. We have over 5K subs, but our views for our videos are heading back down to the point when we first started back on YT. There’s really only one video keeping us afloat right now.[DOUBLEPOST=1506486262][/DOUBLEPOST]

What if we try to do more compilation videos in our primary channel? Since we don’t have many subs, I can’t justify starting another channel. At least then, we are producing some content... I don’t know. Just dying here on our channel.[DOUBLEPOST=1506486760][/DOUBLEPOST]

What’s the name of the 2nd channel so that I can check it out? And just curious, why not put compilation videos on a primary channel? Any benefits to doing this on a secondary channel instead?
Their 2nd channel is Kids, Toys and Adventures.

I have tried compilation videos, but since most of our other videos are 2-3 mins long, the compilation ones fail fast because I do think the AI relates our channel to shorter videos. You could try compilation videos on your channel since you have longer videos to begin with. I have seen a few other channels try multiple channels (with the same content) and one seems to work and take off.. (Like Onxy kids, they had a few channels, with the same videos, and one channel happened to take off, or so it seems). We don't have a ton of views coming in right now either, but I don't have much to loose. I just started a compilation channel just to experiment.. gives me something to do anyways lol. I just posted our first video on that channel about an hour ago and we have 5 views so far.. haha not much but hey, good for a small channel of our size.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pierce's Mom

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Their 2nd channel is Kids, Toys and Adventures.

I have tried compilation videos, but since most of our other videos are 2-3 mins long, the compilation ones fail fast because I do think the AI relates our channel to shorter videos. You could try compilation videos on your channel since you have longer videos to begin with. I have seen a few other channels try multiple channels (with the same content) and one seems to work and take off.. (Like Onxy kids, they had a few channels, with the same videos, and one channel happened to take off, or so it seems). We don't have a ton of views coming in right now either, but I don't have much to loose. I just started a compilation channel just to experiment.. gives me something to do anyways lol. I just posted our first video on that channel about an hour ago and we have 5 views so far.. haha not much but hey, good for a small channel of our size.
Thanks so much! I’ll consider it. I just can’t seem to produce enough videos on our current channel. Starting another channel seems daunting since this one took forever to get it to where it is and it’s really hardly anything at all.