Estimated Monetized Playback % Decreasing. What is Your's Doing?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've plotted the Estimated Monetized Playbacks as a % There is a constant and consistent monthly decrease. What is your % doing this year?

I'm wondering if this is a problem with our channel, or due to the "adpocalypse" and less ads served overall?

Basically it means, even though we are getting views, less of those views are monetized. It could mean that some of the videos getting lots of views are not monetized (which is true - about a dozen of our vids have the orange $ icon), it could also mean less ads are being served overall on our channel.

Thought? Ideas? Suggestions?

monetized percentage playback.jpg

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know we are far from the size of your channel, but we have noticed the same thing. We were just cursed with the same yellow/orange $ icon on most of our new videos, like 20.. ugh.. but over the past few months the monetized playbacks it has been decreasing.. drastically.. I don't have a graph to show you.. we just dropped out network and I don't have access to the old information.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know we are far from the size of your channel, but we have noticed the same thing. We were just cursed with the same yellow/orange $ icon on most of our new videos, like 20.. ugh.. but over the past few months the monetized playbacks it has been decreasing.. drastically.. I don't have a graph to show you.. we just dropped out network and I don't have access to the old information.
Thanks for the information. I'm very concerned whether it is systemic or our channel based. Also as soon as I upload a new video, even a completely safe one like the kids birthday party, there is a yellow icon. By the time it's appealed and monetized, it's lost the initial 1-2 days of monetized views. It's very frustrating.

Reactions: Pierce's Mom
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the information. I'm very concerned whether it is systemic or our channel based. Also as soon as I upload a new video, even a completely safe one like the kids birthday party, there is a yellow icon. By the time it's appealed and monetized, it's lost the initial 1-2 days of monetized views. It's very frustrating.
Oh gee.. I'm so sorry. That is frustrating.. I have seen where everyone is having this issue ( with the yellow $ icon) even large channels and small ones. Everything seems completely wack. I think its systemic, I really do. It's going to get to a lot of people and they will eventually quit.. unless things turn around.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
All OK on my channel.

Earnings are up a lot over the beginning of the year.

I have had two videos marked as not suitable for all advertisers after upload, but they still ran adverts and that was resolved quickly.

I can see that there must be a lot more advertising to go around for channels with original content these days. I'm pleased that YT has massively gonged out channels just pirating and uploading under "fair use".

Long over due move.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How are your other channels? Are they doing the same thing?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How are your other channels? Are they doing the same thing?
The dolls channel is too small to have anything meaningful yet. The other channel's traffic is quite sporadic, I have not done the graph as yet, but will this week. I wanted to get feedback from other channels what their data looks like...

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
My channel earnings per view is doing all right. I was getting that orange sign on every video for about a week. But i would dispute it right away. Yeah maybe took a day for it to be resolved. I stopped getting the orange symbols though. Maybe its been 4 days since the last one.

I tried something new that has increased earnings on my newer videos. If video is longer than 10 minutes you can place more ads. I would just insert one more ad in the middle of the video somewhere. I did it for a few videos that have traffic and are 10 min long. I noticed earnings per view are higher on those videos.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My channel earnings per view is doing all right. I was getting that orange sign on every video for about a week. But i would dispute it right away. Yeah maybe took a day for it to be resolved. I stopped getting the orange symbols though. Maybe its been 4 days since the last one.

I tried something new that has increased earnings on my newer videos. If video is longer than 10 minutes you can place more ads. I would just insert one more ad in the middle of the video somewhere. I did it for a few videos that have traffic and are 10 min long. I noticed earnings per view are higher on those videos.
Ok cool thanks for that feedback. Unfortunately I don't have that many videos longer than 10 min. I tried making more compilations, but the views die out much more quickly than single videos. I guess the key is try to make 10:05 single topic videos and hope those would be good, sort of like ToysToSee. Only when the channel starts a rocking, then can put several short videos together.

Just had a thought - maybe anything tagged "compilation" does not do as good. Having a look at some of the high traffic Russian channels, their compilation are not tagged as such, each video seems to be a new video, even though it's 3 minutes with another 2-3 glued onto the back. Perhaps the algo discounts compilations tags as not fresh content?

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Ok cool thanks for that feedback. Unfortunately I don't have that many videos longer than 10 min. I tried making more compilations, but the views die out much more quickly than single videos. I guess the key is try to make 10:05 single topic videos and hope those would be good, sort of like ToysToSee. Only when the channel starts a rocking, then can put several short videos together.

Just had a thought - maybe anything tagged "compilation" does not do as good. Having a look at some of the high traffic Russian channels, their compilation are not tagged as such, each video seems to be a new video, even though it's 3 minutes with another 2-3 glued onto the back. Perhaps the algo discounts compilations tags as not fresh content?
I dunno. I havent had much success with compilation videos and theyre kind of a hassle to create. Mostly because they take longer to process (since i try to make them 30-60 min long). And yeah its not easy to make anything over 10 min either. Ive been gravitating around 7 minutes and also some of my most popular videos seem to be around 6-7 min. Maybe thats the sweet spot for me in terms of avg minutes watched and % video watched. I can have good min watched and %, but sometimes thats not enough. I think thats when i probably should have done a better thumbnail. So many things need to be perfect to get traction.
If i do have enough content i will try for the minimum 10 minutes just so that i can squeeze an extra ad in there. its kind of easy to hit 10 min on a live video but those dont have lasting views.[DOUBLEPOST=1506407225,1506406580][/DOUBLEPOST]

Theres probably no interest in "compilation" tag from young viewers. Maybe the word is too big. Instead theyre probably clicking on "top 10" crashes.
Ive no idea though. Ive having enough trouble trying to get found on specific keywords. Its pretty hard to be matched in suggested. Even for long tail keywords. Feels more like algorithm is putting us into the general mix of things. Hopefully i can grow rank within the diaspora of toy videos related to my category.