END CARD problems

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Although an experienced YouTube user with more than 200 uploaded, I have only just tried out the End Cards facility. Quite easy really and my first try went well. However, the next test has given me problems.

To the end of a previous video, I added a template of my own. This lasts about 20 seconds. I wished for the video thumbnails to come in at the very start of this template but despite about dozen attempts, with various adjustment in my editing timeline, the thumbnails come in at varying times of approx7/10 seconds late.

Can anyone advise on this, please?
Thanks Pete.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Although an experienced YouTube user with more than 200 uploaded, I have only just tried out the End Cards facility. Quite easy really and my first try went well. However, the next test has given me problems.

To the end of a previous video, I added a template of my own. This lasts about 20 seconds. I wished for the video thumbnails to come in at the very start of this template but despite about dozen attempts, with various adjustment in my editing timeline, the thumbnails come in at varying times of approx7/10 seconds late.

Can anyone advise on this, please?
Thanks Pete.
Hi there.

Sometimes the endscreens, cards, ad breaks can do weird things. My advice is:

1)Disable ad-blockers if you use one. (they mess up quite a few creator features)
2)Delete your browser cache and try again.

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks for quick reply. I don't use any ad-blockers and I have completed your suggestion (2).
Sadly no luck.

Ummmmm. Cheers. Pete.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Let me start with this: End cards can only be displayed in the last 20 seconds of a video and for no longer than 20 seconds maximum.

I'll visually demonstrate with the following picture:
end cards.png
The orange rectangle shows the barrier. Endcards cannot be displayed left of this line. You can adjust the length of the cards playtime with the sliders in the red rectangle. You can see that my outro is about 10 seconds long, so I only want the cards to display for 10 seconds instead of the full 20. You can slide the little blocks to the left to make the cards appear earlier. After you have successfully done this for one video, you don't have to fiddle with it every time. Just hit 'import from video' as seen in the blue rectangle, select the video you've already done and import it to the new video.

Hope this was the info you were looking for!

Reactions: Crown

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks Dutchie for your very full explanation of 'how to do it'. After all my efforts this week I think I already understood it, but clearly, I'm doing something wrong. I tried again this morning adjusting some timing of the template in my editing programme. Sadly the result is the same.

I attach a screenshot from YT that shows the little blocks as far to the left as possible but still the cards don't appear until many seconds have passed from the start of my template.

I haven't tried it, but I could show one of the 6 tests that are on YT as 'unlisted'. Can one attach such a link here???

As an aged 85 year old in the UK, it made my day to get help from a young Dutch lady in Melbourne. Thanks very much again. Pete
YT Screenshot.jpg

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Just brainstorming possible issue:

1) Sometimes the "preview" of the endscreen for the creator doesn't display the thumbnails correctly but they do in reality work when viewed by the public if you see what I mean. What happens if you view the video normally as though you're a normal viewer?
2) A video has to be at least 25 seconds long for it to eligible for endscreens. I see that video is 26 seconds long so it SHOULD be ok but I wonder if it still thinks it's too short. Could you make it 30 seconds just to check?

EDIT - I've just reread your post - Ok I think I know what's happening:

Endscreens will only show for the last 20 seconds of a video BUT the WHOLE video length must be at least 25 seconds. So if you have a video that is 3 minutes long, you could have your normal video that is 2 minutes 40 seconds length and then display the endscreen for the last 20 seconds.

If your video is 25 seconds long, it is eligible for an endscreen, but it will only display the endcreen stuff for the last 20 seconds.

Feel free to post a link to a video you're having trouble with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks for further advice Crown. I think I have got it now. I started from square 1. Created 30 secs (near as possible) of colour bars. Then added my template of the fire of 20 sec (Near as possible). Uploaded to YT and created End Cards. Works almost perfectly. Attached a new screenshot.

Have now discovered how to add a link to the YT video so have done that.
Your comment on this will be welcome. I think my main problem has been trying to run before I can walk expecting exact timing at the change from main video to template.

Your help appreciated. Pete.
SCREEN SHOT END CARD.jpg

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad