Embarrassed filming with people around

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey so I’m super embarrassed to film my videos with my roommate/partner at home. I’m also embarrassed to film around my family members and friends. Anybody else embarrassed about this? It’s keeping me from producing content. How can I get over this? Any tips

ThatShabbyGuy

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey man. I had the same problem up until recently. Let me tell you what helped me.

First off, the anxiety of trying to plan around this nervousness sucks, especially when your channel is seeing results. You need to know that what you are doing (making YouTube videos) is pretty cool in most people's eyes. In the end, the opinion of the people that are watching your videos are what matters most. If someone is giving you a hard time or just laughing at you when you are making videos, it is usually because of their own nervousness and how awkward it is (like when you first started talking to your camera)

If you havent already, let your family and roommate know that you're kinda getting into it now and you'll be doing videos with them around.

I hated even editing my videos when family is around. The wife and kids love to give me a hard time when they hear me playing the same clip over and over where I'm trying to get something just right. They like yo laugh when I mess up, say stupid stuff, get frustrated and end the clip, and repeat myself 5 times trying to get it right.

In the end, I realized that they're really only laughing because it is like watching a live blooper reel. It's funny.

Then I had fun with it.

"Oh, you wanna mess with me while I'm recording?"

*proceed to chase the wife with the camera*

She runs off.

The results? I put it in the video and my viewers enjoyed that little wholesome glimpse into my life.

I started doing some live streams. One of the kids came in and just wanted to be on the stream.

So now it is becoming more of a regular thing to them and it is helping my content.

Just get past it. Do your thing and let people know that this is a passion you have.

Hope this helps!

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do not record while my wife is in the house, because she makes too much noise. I edit while she is there, but ( will usually put on headphones. Not from being embarrassed, but so she does not have to listen to the same scene over and over and over ad nauseam, while I edit. I mostly just do voice over work at the house, and will do that while she out at the well doing laundry.

I do most of my recording out and about. I am not embarrassed by recording, while I am on the move. I can sit in the plaza and record as well... my problem comes in when I want to record at a restaurant. I don't know why, but that embarrassases me.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
just try and own it. Don't hide it. Next time you're going to make a video say "I'm going to make a video now so don't be surprised if you hear me talking to myself!" ^^

Reactions: BrettTaylorYT

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
You are not the only one, I was never a camera person. As an introvert, YouTube has been a different experience for me. Like anything else in life the more you practice the better you get. I have been gradually gaining some confidence in this area but I am also taking the words of advice from others.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
For me personally I began by filming in private, then once I became more comfortable I just stopped caring what they thought. So now I just film whenever people are around if I'm public or even home. If I need the house to be quieter then normal then I let the family know before I begin and then thank them once I'm done.

So just go out there and film. Be you and have fun. Baby steps. =]

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I make animation videos so I don´t have that problem. I suggest you drink a bottle of whiskey before recording and I promise you that you wont care what the think :)

DIY Reid

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
I try not to film with other people around, I think I've just been doing this for so long now that I'm used to it. Maybe it's that or I actually make a decent amount of extra cash doing it. In regards to my wife, she supports this hobby. As long as it doesn't take away time from hanging out with her and our 2 year old daughter she's all good with it.

ThatShabbyGuy

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just recorded a video yesterday and did over 90 voice overs with my family home.

I let them know I had a deadline and to keep the TV off and voices down.

Put my headset on so i could listen to myself without any of their input.

I know they were giggling and making comments when I got frustrated or had to repeat myself 5 times but I got it done.

Today they all watched it on the TV over dinner.

Just keep trucking.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I prefer to make videos in the comfort of my own company lol
I need to be alone when I make videos (unless I'm making a video with someone, of course), or else it doesn't get any good.

I can totally be myself when I'm alone, and that is such a nice freedom to have.