Email lists: Why isn't anyone talking about this?

Justin West

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm assuming most YouTubers on here are working on their channels with the hope or at least thought that maybe, one day, eventually it might be able to make some money. I'm a digital marketer who's currently working with two YouTube channels to create a marketing infrastructure and a real, online business from the audience these YouTubers have built. In the first month, we captured 2,000 email addresses and pre-sold $1,000 in products that we haven't even made yet, and we're on track to 10x that in the coming few months.

It turns out, people come to YouTube with jobs to be done, and step one in learning about that is to create a relationship with them outside of YouTube. Email relationships can scale with marketing software, allowing you to figure out what your people want to pay for. It's also key to keeping your audience alive if YouTube decides to stop promoting your videos or worse. I've created a whole system for setting all this up and running a business from a YouTube audience, and I'm thinking about making a guide about it.

Is anyone interested in learning how to do this or having it done for them? Has anyone tried to build a business from their YouTube channel? I've seen some examples out there of people with small channels that make $20-$30 per month with Adsense making $2,000-$3,000 per month with a real business infrastructure and strategy. I'd love to know what you think or if you do.

I don't have anything to promote. Just want to see what discussion there is on this if any. I haven't been able to find anything about this on forums yet...

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Hi Justin.
My channel is business orientated and I have just started to invite my viewers to sign up to a newsletter, so I am in the process of building an email list. In the first month I received a few hundred email addresses and I have just sent out my first newsletter.
It's early days for me, I still have a lot to learn and I'm also in the process of giving my channel a major facelift and producing a media kit so that I can offer yacht builders the opportunity to use my services. As you will guess from the name of my channel my business is not exactly a "stack them high and sell them cheap" type of activity, but to a degree it is a numbers game just like many other sales job. The more email addresses I get and the more people receive my newsletter then the more likely I am to find a buyer.

Justin West

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's great YFS! A few hundred highly motivated and engaged email contacts are better than tens of thousands of weak leads. Have you considered getting really into the email marketing? The first thing I do is make sure all new signups get an email an hour or two after signing up that reads something like, "Hey, I saw you signed up, thanks. If you could snap your fingers and make something happen right now what would that be?" Or "What's the biggest challenge you're facing right now/what can I do for you" type of thing. You can experiment to see what gets the best responses and tailor future communications and content creation based on that qualitative research. You can also send an email that autosegments leads based on which link they click in the email, then have tailored autoresponders keyed up that nurture each segment through the buying process to the next stage of your funnel, which may be an informative video series, a webinar, or a phone consultation.

Basically, figure out what your leads want at each stage of the buyer's journey, then give it to them, and they'll most likely buy from you and/or recommend you.

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Sound interesting to me. :thumbsup2:

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I'm assuming most YouTubers on here are working on their channels with the hope or at least thought that maybe, one day, eventually it might be able to make some money. I'm a digital marketer who's currently working with two YouTube channels to create a marketing infrastructure and a real, online business from the audience these YouTubers have built. In the first month, we captured 2,000 email addresses and pre-sold $1,000 in products that we haven't even made yet, and we're on track to 10x that in the coming few months.

It turns out, people come to YouTube with jobs to be done, and step one in learning about that is to create a relationship with them outside of YouTube. Email relationships can scale with marketing software, allowing you to figure out what your people want to pay for. It's also key to keeping your audience alive if YouTube decides to stop promoting your videos or worse. I've created a whole system for setting all this up and running a business from a YouTube audience, and I'm thinking about making a guide about it.

Is anyone interested in learning how to do this or having it done for them? Has anyone tried to build a business from their YouTube channel? I've seen some examples out there of people with small channels that make $20-$30 per month with Adsense making $2,000-$3,000 per month with a real business infrastructure and strategy. I'd love to know what you think or if you do.

I don't have anything to promote. Just want to see what discussion there is on this if any. I haven't been able to find anything about this on forums yet...
An email list is 100% a part of my brand’s near future. Not long ago I started to set it up through Mailchimp, any specific platform recommendations? Also, would love to read through/watch guides on this.

I would say the reason you don’t see it much on here is because there’s not a lot of business-related minds floating around. Most people are looking for the best way to get new subs or get more views etc, with no real business plan in mind. But there’s definitely a handful of us that have real ambitions to grow more than Adsense revenue out of what we’re up to.