Has This Review/Guide Helped You?

• Total voters

The Mahano

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Introduction
Hello guys today I am giving you a written review of the Elgato HD Game Capture Card. I Have had this product for about a year now and I believe i have had enough time with it do do a review.

Software
Lets start off with the software Elgato Provides you with. First of all the software doesn't come on a disk with the capture card, instead, you have to go to their website and download it from there, you download it for free and it tells you when there is an update available.
So moving on to the features of the software.
First of all, you can click this image to bring up the settings

The first thing in the settings is the location you want your recorded videos to save to, you can choose anywhere on your computer to save the videos or even save them to an external HD.
The Next option is what file type you would like to save your video to I use and i recommend MP4 Original.

The next option you will come across is this panel here.

Click on the button on the left for more options for your device.

The first tab you will come across is the "Capture" tab. this tab is all about what console you would like to capture and in what detail you would like to capture to.
The "Input Device" is what console you would like to record, the Elgato should automatically know what device its plugged into.
The next option is the color range, i recommend Expanded.
You Can choose to record in "Mobile, Standard Definition, 720pHD or 108p HD"
Quality should always be at best
and Always Preserve source format and stretch standard definition.

The next tab is an extremely useful tool. You can customize the colour of your videos and help making your videos brighter and more colourful even before you edit them and add colour correction.

The audio tab is just gain on the audio and it isnt very useful as you have a better one on the software itself.

The next tab is a "Profiles " tab this is just different profiles for different types of settings you can use this for different consoles or games to quickly change settings.

The last tab is just if the Elgato doesn't show up on your tv you click on a different setting untill it shows up

This tab just shows you the loudness of the game audio you can change how loud it is by using the dial.

This tab is for commentating over your video if you press the button with the microphone image on it then a green light should appear showing you it will record voice. You also have an option to reduce game sound when you speak. The last option is to increase the gain of your microphone.

This tab is a very useful tab. It is used for Live streaming. Yes! you can live stream straight from the elgato software. You can choose to livestream To Twitch, Youtube, Ustream or a custom RTMP.
The button with the Internet logo shows weather you are streaming or not if you click it a green light will show you you are streaming. You can choose the closest server to stream to from your country. You can choose your status message of your stream and you can choose the upload speed of your bit rate, I recommend streaming at half your upload speed If it is low so your stream is clear.

This tab is the Title, Description and tags of the Video File you are creating. Note that the title will also have the date and time the video was recorded.

This part is the main part you will use. You have the big red button which is Obviously the button to record, it will glow orange when you are recording. The time will show how long you have been recording for and if you are not recording it will show how long the Elgato has Flashback recorded/Ghost recorded (i will go into that in more detail in a second). You can take a screenshot.
Flashback recording is a tool that is very useful, basically the elgato will constantly record game play if the software is open but it will not save unless you record, if you miss a trick shot or forgot to press the record button you can drag the slidebar back and you can record from anytime u want. it is a very usefull tool.

Elgato has a very basic editing software built in with it which i will not go into detail with.

Here is what the whole of the capture page looks like.

Capture Device

The capture device is the smallest of all capture cards i have came across and it is also very easy to set up it has a HDMI In, an HDMI out, a usb which connects to your computer and also powers the device and also a A/V Slot for a ps3 or other devices.

Final Opinion
Overall the Elgato device is an Amazing capture card and i recommend any youtube to get this capture card. It is in my opinion the best on the market.

Sotware - 9/10 (Could Have A Better Editing Software)
Capture Card - 10/10 (Small, easy to use and set up and strong)
Video Quality - 10/10 (Great quality, even at 720p)
Price - (£130 - £150 British Pound) 9/10 ( Its worth the price but not everyone can afford it)
Overall Rating - 9/10 (Brilliant Device, Best On the market )

Note: I was not paid or asked to do this review by anyone and this is my true honest opinion.

If This Article Has Helped You Or You Enjoyed Reading It A Please Leave A Like! It Helps.

Elgato Unboxing with me and @thelayoh

Last edited:

RaffyVinny

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
Liked the review. I was about to get something else, you changed my mind into the Elgato :D

Reactions: The Mahano

The Mahano

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Liked the review. I was about to get something else, you changed my mind into the Elgato :D
Trust me. Its the best capture card i have ever had, i have had an Roxio, a Roxio HD and a HDPVR2 Gaming Edition. But the Elgato Destroys them all. I use it to record game play to my channel. I Have edited it a bit though

Pigception

Reaction score
Good thing about it is that it takes up barely any space and no wire clutter, unlike the pvr

Reactions: The Layoh

The Layoh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great review Mahano :)[DOUBLEPOST=1403166776,1403166747][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good thing about it is that it takes up barely any space and no wire clutter, unlike the pvr
Thats so true :) I have one and i did an Unboxing of one :) There so epic

Luceroboy

LooseArrowBoy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
I got my Elgato HD a few days ago. I never used a capture card before. I wasn't aware I couldn't play the game directly on my PC because of the lag.
ANYWAYS
It was my first capture card and it's very easy to use and learn how to use it! Newbie friendly :)
The only problem I had so far is that it crashed while processing a video from .ts to mp4 (happens when you stop recording).
It was most likely my computers fault, but the original .ts file was there so I didn't lose my footage :D

Great review Mahano :)[DOUBLEPOST=1403166776,1403166747][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thats so true :) I have one and i did an Unboxing of one :) There so epic
I still have the box I don't want to throw it out yet XD

Zolba

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
I wasn't aware I couldn't play the game directly on my PC because of the lag.
Sure about that? I don't notice any lag at all.
Or do you mean before you got the Elgato?

Luceroboy

LooseArrowBoy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Sure about that? I don't notice any lag at all.
Or do you mean before you got the Elgato?
I mean if I play on my PS3 I thought I'd be able to play on the stream going to my computer, but it's a second or 2 behind. Playing off the Game capture HD stream.

Zolba

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
I mean if I play on my PS3 I thought I'd be able to play on the stream going to my computer, but it's a second or 2 behind. Playing off the Game capture HD stream.
Ah! True, it's also frustrating if you forget to mute the sound in the Game Capture program - as the sound will be late as well. Took some time before I figured out how to do that.

XXChocoboJoe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This review is almost word for word what I think about this capture device. I've been using it for a week now and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. As a first time uploader it couldn't have been easier to set up and start recording . I highly recommend spending the 150 or so dollar it costs. The editing software (stated above) is not the best but it's pretty easy to get video editing software lol. Anyway, thanks for the review I agreed with it 200%

Reactions: The Layoh