Education videos with animation - Workflow?

Nacrim

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am planning on producing educational videos based on scientific facts and would like to integrate and overlay simple animations/figures/infographics in these videos.

I am trying to find freeware that I can have a workflow that works. Based on my search the following are options:

Inkscape: for the creation of vector graphics

Tupi / Synfig / Opentoonz / Dragonbones: for animation of vector graphics

Lightworks / Shotcut: for editing regular video and importing animations

My question is now: It is not very clear if I can import any 2d animations into Ligthworks or Shotcut. It appears that the animations have to be either exported as svg or png files with a transparent background or otherwise there are not going to be able to be "overlayed" in the editing software.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could please provide some directions? I, of course, realise that there are always many different solutions, but based from the information I could find it does not seem very clear if it is possible to import any 2d animations into the editing software.

I am aware that after effects would be fantastic for this, but I currently do not have the necessary funds for it.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Nac

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi there:)
Making educational videos based on scientific facts is a great idea and I see a lot of those channels on YouTube. I am kind of in the same niche (I make educational animation videos with a little twist:))
I dont know anything about the software you mention but I use videoscribe for all my videos. It is very easy to use and there is a free trial. Feel free to check out some of my videos to see if that´s the kind of animation you had in mind

Nacrim

Reaction score
Dear Dave2017,

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I am well aware of videoscribe, powtoon and other software in that area.

I was just hoping to be able to utilise my drawing and editing skills from the past a bit better to gain a bit more flexibility.

Thank you for the suggestions though. Good on you for your channel! I will check it out!

Cheers,
Nac