Editing videos to cut background

Gawkan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Gamer, Commentator
Hey I seen people who have cut the background of a video (I believe most use greenscreen) but I been trying to do like a greenscreen on say games like Minecraft (yes it odd but read on).

So I wondering how I can edit the background of a video.

Example: record a gaming character like steve on Minecraft and change the background so you can put like a picture behind it, not just see the usual Minecraft things like trees, etc and maybe even put another video in corner if possible.
Video below as example (instead of having that glass and them blocks, etc have an actual picture from like google images.

Is there any free way I could do this if you know what I mean?

- Gawkan

P.S that my old channel that didn't go too well.

bwochinski

Gaming and Goofing
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
I can't see the example video from here (work), but the best way to handle that is to simply make a greenscreen within Minecraft. Just edit the texture pack to make a block (green wool for example) a perfectly even bright green. Then any typical editing software will be able to handle the chroma keying as per usual.

Gawkan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
I can't see the example video from here (work), but the best way to handle that is to simply make a greenscreen within Minecraft. Just edit the texture pack to make a block (green wool for example) a perfectly even bright green. Then any typical editing software will be able to handle the chroma keying as per usual.
Yes that my plan to put like green blocks behind the minecraft guy but how would I edit that to make a picture is what I trying find out sicne I tried many free video editing software and can't seem to do it.

bwochinski

Gaming and Goofing
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Yes that my plan to put like green blocks behind the minecraft guy but how would I edit that to make a picture is what I trying find out sicne I tried many free video editing software and can't seem to do it.
I have no idea if you'll find anything to do a good job of it for free. You might go for a Sony Vegas free trial, but I'm not sure if you need this for more than a one-off project.

ViciousCritic

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Try Lightworks. It's free and does green screen.
You can also use a type of keying called Difference keying if you have shot of the scene without the character. It works on the differences between two images.

Gawkan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
I have no idea if you'll find anything to do a good job of it for free. You might go for a Sony Vegas free trial, but I'm not sure if you need this for more than a one-off project.
I was planning to do quite a couple but if I can at least do one that would be great so I try sony vegas out and see how it goes. Do you know how long the trial last?

Try Lightworks. It's free and does green screen.
You can also use a type of keying called Difference keying if you have shot of the scene without the character. It works on the differences between two images.
Cool, I check it out. I am hoping to get like a gaming character maybe a Minecraft character or whatever and put like maybe a window with city behind it or make like tv showing pictures of things since it for a news series. Also do you know if lightworks can put a video on another video?

ViciousCritic

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Cool, I check it out. I am hoping to get like a gaming character maybe a Minecraft character or whatever and put like maybe a window with city behind it or make like tv showing pictures of things since it for a news series. Also do you know if lightworks can put a video on another video?
Probably. Just set the size and position of the video to match the transparent area in the top layer.

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Using the Green blocks is what I thought of too. If no other blocks use green, neither do the avatars, it should work pretty well i'm guessing.

let us see the results when you get a chance. :)

Reactions: Michael

Gawkan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Using the Green blocks is what I thought of too. If no other blocks use green, neither do the avatars, it should work pretty well i'm guessing.

let us see the results when you get a chance. :)
Yes I will :)

I hasn't had chance to try lightworks or sony vegas to do it yet though ;)

Does any other video editing program which is free do the green screen feature? I like sony vegas but it got a trial for limited time and lightworks, I am disliking :(