Editing Length

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hey all.
I'm wondering all long does it take y'all to edit a video?
I just spent about 2 hours editing and finished 2 minutes worth of video.
My content has pretty heavy editing involved, so this is normal for videos of mine.
How about the rest of you?

Actually nevermind, I went back and checked, it was 3 and a half hours for 2 minutes worth of video. Maybe I do too much editing.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
There's really no standard, depends on the extent of your perfectionism and how complicated the video is.

When I shoot promotional videos for company, often it's a simple montage of shots to music. Here most of the work goes into shooting, and post is just clipping the shots, aligning to music and color grading.

However for more complicated videos, like some of my vlogs, where I put overlay text and graphics, and sometimes even animate stuff it can go well over 1 hour per minute of video.

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Depends on the type of video. If it's just a chatty video but a long one, it'll take about 2hrs or more since I listen to the whole thing & cut out bits that I later find irrelevant or boring.
Most of my time goes into filming it, filming the right angles/shots for the product to showcase it in my video. Voice overs are added to my time too if i chose to go down that route, so doing them will take about 30mins or less (depends) then adding them to the video adds up in the end. The more creative the video, the longer it takes to edit. I think the longest time I've taken was about 6-8 hours but I think the reason for that was cos I was still figuring things out so I experimented a lot.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
it depends what you want to achieve and how fast you work. I might spend a day editing like a 30 seconds of something tricky and then delete it and start again because I didn't like it lol. Its an how long is a piece of string question. Generally I take 3-4 days editing a 5 minute video. I'd like to get that down a lot. It takes what it takes until your happy with it.