Editing help

ThessaloMicah

(I think this is the right place to put this)

I wouldn't say I'm the worst at editing, but I definitely have a lot to learn. Basically I want to know how to put a video on top of another video, like take a youtuber who games, in the top right corner he has his face, and the rest of the screen is the gameplay (like jacksepticeye for example). It's kind of like an "overlay" I'm guessing, I know how to do it with pictures, but that's far different from videos. What editing app can I use to get this effect, would davinci resolve, windows movie maker, or lightworks be able to use this?

As you can see I'm quite new to all of this so I'll take all the help I can get, cheers :D

If you're on a computer, I believe OBS does this, and it very popular. I might be mistaken though, I don't use the program.

Hiya!

I'm not sure about the editing software that you edit with, however, I can say you can do it on Sony Vegas and OBS!
The best thing to do is search up on YouTube or just mess around. It may take time but just like any other hobby such as drawing, practice makes perfect!
(You should've seen my videos from 2011)

In Sony Vegas, you simply put the facecam video over the game video, click on the little video player screen on that track and resize it, from there you can move it around!

If you get sony vegas, OBS or Camtasia 8 you can always ask me for help! Since I edit too much anywho so I might as well continue editing.

Hope this helps!​

Maybe you have to invest in some software and time to learn it good.
You can skip the software investment by using a free one
but you cannot avoid time to learn it...
In time you will need other options rather just an overlay
so maybe it is wise to choose to go deep, learn from start
and have a semipro or pro editing program.
:)

The feature is called "picture in picture" and not all editing software supports it. But that's the term you need to search for when choosing your editing software. Good luck. :)

The are 2 ways that people do it. 1 take a normal camera and face it toward you and hit record, sync it up in editing and put it on top of gameplay, this is the most common method. 2, Have a webcam hooked up to computer and have 2 sources in OBS one of the game and one of the webcam.

I record with OBS and Occasionally Bandicam both of these will allow you two record in the way that your asking, I then use Filmora for editing and it is really easy to use and allows you to place the second screen on to of the first and move it around to where is best suited.

i know how to do this and no its not OBS, that program is used for live streaming, it can record but not really the best in quality. First thing to understand is that you need two things a software that can capture both your webcam and screen at the same time, the second is a software that supports linear editing (it is not called photo on photo).

There is a lot of paid programs that can do what you are asking but if you do not have any money, this is what i recommend:

- VSDC free video editer

- Gameshow (yes another live streaming software but better for recording.)

I do not know if you can record the games in HD but these two programs can help record your game.

Sony Vegas Pro 13 is good if you aren't doing any more than splitting, adding a facecam, and other basic stuff like that. But if you are looking for 3D effects I would say After Effects CC 2015. Hope I helped. iuf you decide to use this you can look up some basic toutorials on yt

Back