Editing existing videos

sydh

Reaction score
I have many videos on YT that have attracted a history of views. I would like to add a new credit screen at the end of each video. Is there any way I can edit the video without losing the registered views. I considered using End Screen for the credits but this will obviously cover the end of the existing video. I would like it to show after the video. Easy to do in Premiere but I would then have to submit this to YT as a new video and delete the original, thereby losing the viewing history.

Reactions: veronica33067

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
there used to be a system called "Annotations" which would let you add text over the top of your video after you'd finished editing it...it was very very useful for quick fixing credits and adding additional info but Youtube discontinued it this year along side most of there other editing tools...I think now all thats left in terms of post-post production options is that you can add filters to your videos and you can add "End cards" which are basically direct links to either a video of your choice, your latest video or playlist, or a link to subscribe...and thats about it.

unfortunately you wouldn't be able to extend your video to add credits or add additional credits while in youtube...your best bet would be to either fix the video and re-upload it or download it, tweak it then re-upload it :)

Reactions: veronica33067

sydh

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. When you say "re-upload", please explain. I assumed that I would have to upload a new video and the video would be a new video with a new URL. Are you saying it is possible to overwrite the existing video? If so, that is just what I require as I would then retain the viewing history.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
More or less...I mean if you want to add credits to the end of your video, you'll need to re-edit the video in premier and re-upload it sadly...though I suppose one of the quickest fixes you could probably do if your really desperately intent on keeping the view history and you need a workaround would be to make the credit roll as a standalone thing, upload it under an unlisted link and then stick an end card that links to your credits at the end of every video...thats probably the best answer to your problem I can think of...

sydh

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Not really what I was after. That could work if it was possible to trigger another video (the credits) to run automatically. I think the only way round this is to use a full screen end card and lose maybe 10 seconds of video, or leave all existing videos untouched and just add the credits to new videos. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: TYTD

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is there any way I can edit the video without losing the registered views. I considered using End Screen for the credits but this will obviously cover the end of the existing video. I would like it to show after the video. Easy to do in Premiere but I would then have to submit this to YT as a new video and delete the original, thereby losing the viewing history.
If you want to add an end screen on the video which has accumulated the views the only option you have is to use the YouTube inbuilt end-screen annotation

If you create a new video...on the other hand no matter what you do it can not over ride any published video.

My advice keep you existing video to keep building more views to your channel. If you really want to make the video again you can do it but note the new publish video will start from zero views...Hope that helps

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)