Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Editing 1080p50p and export question...

Discussion in 'Video Editing, Recording, Software & Hardware' started by Kenni, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Kenni
    Cash:
    $9
    Hi there, everyone! :)

I just found this site, and decided to join! I believe I'll be able to get my questions answered here.

Well, I'm a YouTuber and I record videos daily. I own a Sony HDR CX-405 Camcorder.
    It allows me to record in HD 50p. I've recently started doing that. I've set my Sony cam to XAVC S HD - but I have some questions..

I use Movavi as my video editor, and it seems fine for what I need it for.
    When I record with my Sony cam, in HD 50p, the file I import to Movavi is MP4.
    I then edit the file for what I need, and then I export it.

In the export menu I have several options..

MP4 with H.264 Codec

MP4 with MPEG-4 Codec.

What format should I choose? And what's the difference between the two?

Thanks, everyone! :)
    Cheers!

2. TN7
    TN7
    Cash:
    $28
    I'm not a pro when it comes to codecs and formatting, but after a quick Google search there are three main differences. H.264 compresses in a smaller size and allows you to record for longer, it also is a little more fluent and gives better video quality, and it is basically the future of formats for video industries. I think formatting in H.264 is the best way to go, but the difference isn't going to be very apparent. Hope this helps!

3. veronica33067
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $16
    @TN7 Agreed! These codecs are like foreign language to me. I don't understand any of them. However, I've taking many courses on video production and editing using Premiere. My professors always suggested exporting the video in H.264 format. Why? I haven't a clue. I'm sure they mentioned the reason but I forgot since it was some time ago. Regardless, someone could tell me now and I would probably forget again as time passes. Apparently, H.264 is the standard. Never heard of the other one.

I hope my response isn't a waste of your time. I know you wanted a detailed description of the two. However, I thought my small familiarity with the one was worth sharing. :unsure:

4. Jawad Soomro
    I'm a Human!
    Cash:
    $12,642
    I always export my videos in H.264 mp4 for premiere pro. It gives me best quality with reasonable video file size.

5. Kenni
    Cash:
    $9
    Thank you all for your answers, I appreciate it :)

Yeah, I've searched the web too, and came to the same conclusion, but I wanted to be absolutely sure..
    As some of you already say.. codecs and formats is indeed also a foreign language to me.. but this made things a little clearer! :)

Another question then:

I'm uploading a video to YouTube as we speak, MP4 with H.264 Codec 1080p50p, but I get a little message on the uploading screen saying
    "Your files will upload faster, if you use a codec and a format that can be streamed". There a little 'help' button, and if I go there I can read different information about codec, frame rate, etc. From what I can see, I have checked all those boxes, and everything should be good?
    But why does YouTube then display that little message?

Cheers :)

veronica33067 likes this.